Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
does CI have autocomplete function ?

[eluser]elfkid[/eluser]
dear all
i am need it
autocomplete + mysql
thanks

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
CI can't provide a catch all autocomplete function because there are too many variables.

On the php side of autocomplete you have a controller method and you don't see CI providing you with all the controllers you need, do you?

[eluser]elfkid[/eluser]
how to do a autocomplete ?

i have no idea al all

[quote author="xwero" date="1227802174"]CI can't provide a catch all autocomplete function because there are too many variables.

On the php side of autocomplete you have a controller method and you don't see CI providing you with all the controllers you need, do you?[/quote]

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
An autocomplete for a field has two components; a server side and a client side component. The client side takes care of the user input and completion layout and selection. The server side provides the content for the completion.

A client side component is for example this. Which gives you a basic example of what the server site component does.

As you see the server side is very basic, all the magic happens on the client side.

[eluser]obiron2[/eluser]
Elfkid,

From the look of your recent posts you are trying to run before you can walk and you need to get an understanding of how the web works. Please don't get me wrong. CI makes the whole process of developing web sites a lot easier and is worthwhile knowing but it does not change the underlying principles of how web pages are delivered to the browser.

Does CI have an autocomplete function - No.
Can you do autocomplete in CI - Yes, it is much easier to do it in CI than in plain PHP (Or ASP, or PERL, or whatever language you code in..)

Autocomplete uses a combination of technology known as AJAX which combines javascript DOM manipulation with HTTP protocols. If you don't understand what I just said you need to do some research...

Basically with an autocomplete, you have some javascript triggered by an event (typing in a box) which requests some data from the server (just like a full web page would) and when it gets that back it inserts the data into a specific place on the page (the select list).

You need to understand javascript and CI to make this work. You could use one of the AJAX packages (scriptaculous, moo tools etc..) which, like CI, hides lots of the boring grunt work from the developer, but if you don't understand what it is doing, you might struggle to debug it.

Xwero is one of the most respected contributors to the community and you should absorb his advice (almost) without question.

Obiron

[eluser]obiron2[/eluser]
Elfkid,

From the look of your recent posts you are trying to run before you can walk and you need to get an understanding of how the web works. Please don't get me wrong. CI makes the whole process of developing web sites a lot easier and is worthwhile knowing but it does not change the underlying principles of how web pages are delivered to the browser.

Does CI have an autocomplete function - No.
Can you do autocomplete in CI - Yes, it is much easier to do it in CI than in plain PHP (Or ASP, or PERL, or whatever language you code in..)

Autocomplete uses a combination of technology known as AJAX which combines javascript DOM manipulation with HTTP protocols. If you don't understand what I just said you need to do some research...

Basically with an autocomplete, you have some javascript triggered by an event (typing in a box) which requests some data from the server (just like a full web page would) and when it gets that back it inserts the data into a specific place on the page (the select list).

You need to understand javascript and CI to make this work. You could use one of the AJAX packages (scriptaculous, moo tools etc..) which, like CI, hides lots of the boring grunt work from the developer, but if you don't understand what it is doing, you might struggle to debug it.

Xwero is one of the most respected contributors to the community and you should absorb his advice (almost) without question.

Obiron

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
[quote author="obiron2" date="1227809046"]
[/quote]

Who says i'm one of the most respected contributors, i dare him to say it again the no good for nothing #### Wink

[eluser]andreagam[/eluser]
I second Obiron2 assertion adding that not only xwero is one of the most respected contributors to the community, but also one of the most patient and helpful.

Hats off to xwero.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I thank you both for the kind words but i'm just a guy who enjoys helping others, there is nothing more to it.

I like to teach others how to fish as the proverb goes. Elfkid asked a question i answered short which resulted in a question for more information so i gave it.

[eluser]elfkid[/eluser]
xwero is that such a person !!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB