• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
[SOLVED] UTF-8 without BOM

#1
[eluser]RogerM[/eluser]
Hi everyone,

I had some strange characters appearing on my site and found out it was an encoding problem. I know still have a strange little character appearing at the top of my site, which i can't copy and paste for some reason.

I used Notepad++ and it won't convert my files to UTF-8 without BOM. It will save them and them when i open them again they are ANSI.

I also used dreamweaver to save them as UTF-8 withour BOM and I get the same result.

Am i missing something here?

take a look at my site website

My bg image is getting pushed down.

Thanks for the help!

Roger

#2
[eluser]sharpe[/eluser]
Check your application/libraries/Template.php:58 file for any character or space.Try get an error page too see EX.
http://mintonmagic.com/index.php/home/shdws

#3
[eluser]RogerM[/eluser]
Nothing in the Template.PHP file. I tried to encode that to utf-8 w/o bom but it goes to ANSI still.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

#4
[eluser]Teks[/eluser]
RogerM, you don't need a byte-order marker (BOM). What you need is an appropriate META declaration. Please note, that currently, your meta-content-type declaration is being outputted as this:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=ISO-8859-1" />

This is WRONG, if your document is actually unicode - and that is probably why your unicode characters are appearing as garbled text. If your document is utf-8 encoded, the meta tag should be:

Code:
<meta http-equiv="Content-type" content="text/html;charset=UTF-8" />

For more information on HTML/XHTML and character encoding issues, have a quick read at this:

http://www.w3.org/International/tutorial...-char-enc/

#5
[eluser]RogerM[/eluser]
Ok! Thanks for all the help. I am not sure how that wrong meta tag got in there. I went through all my files and checked all of them. I restarted, almost from scratch and slowly added my views and such back into my template file. I finally found the culprit file. It didn't have a meta tag in it, and when I added one, it still didn't do the job. So I re-made the whole file from scratch and deleted the old one and it finally worked.

Thanks again for all your help!!!


Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  


  Theme © 2014 iAndrew  
Powered By MyBB, © 2002-2020 MyBB Group.