Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Mauth: Auth library? Release or not to release...

[eluser]missionsix[/eluser]
Hello!

So i'm thinking about releasing my Auth library, code named: Mauth (MissionSix Authentication Library) for the public. Being that I've been developing it for about 8 months now, and used it on quite a few public websites, i feel that it might be useful for some other people out there.

Now i realize there are quite a few Auth libraries out there already, and it might be a hard arena to compete in. Which is why i have another proposal...

But first, here are some features of Mauth:

Quote:-Very customizable
-Secure (salted, encrypted passwords)
-Facebook integration (for applications)
-Fast registration process
-Unique email registrations and validation
-Online Users / Who's Online
-Cookie based logins (optional)
-Database sessions
-Groups system (admin, user, moderator, ect..)
-User profiles (optional, customizable)
-User Avatars (optional, customizable)

And I also have some things planned for upcoming builds:

Quote:-Controller/function assigned permission system
-Facebook Connect Login (i need to modify my current Facebook implementation)
-Admin interface for user management
-more...

I've also though about maybe writing up a guide/tutorial on how to create your own Auth library. Would this be more effective for the learning CI user? Most websites require different types of features in an Auth library, and if you teach a man to fish, he can eat for the rest of his life, right?! One size != fit all.

If I went this route, i would release code samples from my library in my post. And probably break it into several sections on how to deal with various parts of the library.

Anyway, I would like some opinions / thoughts on the matter. And any suggestions you have for me would be great!

-Pat Aka MissionSix

http://patandrew.com

[eluser]trippc[/eluser]
I would welcome another auth library.

I just started using CI the last couple of weeks and even though there are several out there, many are not up to date( or no longer maintained) or do not work well with the new form validation of version 1.7. Also reading through the other auth library threads you will see that every ones needs are different for what they are trying to accomplish.

Also from a selfish standpoint I am learning a tremendous amount from others code. Wink

Tripp C

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I'm also new to CodeIngniter and I'm looking for a auth that is fully compatible with CI 1.7, which is kind of hard to find.

I'll see what I can get done over the next couple days.

[eluser]Fenix[/eluser]
I am very interested in seeing how your auth system would improve upon current options out there. The Facebook integration would be a first as far as I know. Fast registration and user profiles would be great. The guide and tutorials on creating a custom auth system would be equally helpfull Smile

thanks missionsix

hmm yeah, i think i need to get some work done on this. It seems like there is definitely some demand.

I've gotten most of it done, but my Facebook integration needs a little more work, as well as improving my permissions system.

I have a few projects for school that need to be finished before i can work on the library, but I hope to have something released by Feb 1st, maybe sooner!

[eluser]Fenix[/eluser]
Sounds great! Looking forward to it. I trust you'll post on this thread when you have something? That way I will be notified ^_^

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
I would like a write up on how to write an auth lib because honestly I would prefer to do that then use someone elses auth lib.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I think a good auth library would be one that has all the tools available to build a robust user system into any application. When I hear of features like "Admin interface for user management" or "Fast registration process" I think, seems like something the right controller setup would do. But maybe some people like having all those types of things ready to go.

So for me, a good user library would:

- Easy to save, retrieve, and delete users
- Easy to assign roles, permissions, and then validate against these throughout my app
- An open/extensible object model
- General utilities, like checking for existence of users/user attributes (for validation), custom sorting, etc.
- Configurable security measures
- Loosely coupled, in the spirit of native CI libraries

Quote:I’m also new to CodeIngniter and I’m looking for a auth that is fully compatible with CI 1.7, which is kind of hard to find.

Doesn't seem that hard to achieve. The library I wrote for my projects with 1.3 still works with 1.7 (did have to change some of the AR method names though... getwhere ~ get_where, etc)

[eluser]louis w[/eluser]
Interested in hearing more as well.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB