Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
RSS Feeds for custom searches

[eluser]Henry Weismann[/eluser]
I am building an application that will have an advanced search. This advanced search will have at least 10 search parameters and can have an unlimited amount of different results based on the data entered such as tags.

Now I am thinking that I may create an RSS feed for any custom search created so users can follow posts that interest them to a high degree of accuracy.

I thought I would first cache that query for 10 minutes which will produce the results for both the advanced search and it's rss feed. Then I would cache the view for 10 minutes as well.

I am wondering if this is crazy because of the load it will put on the database and file system for so many unique queries. That is why I am caching for 10 minutes so it only performs a query every 10 minutes. I am curious if this website ever became popular and was used by more then 10,000 people at a time would this custom rss feed functionalty cause headaches in the future. I am thinking it is easier to leave out a feature now then remove a feature from users in the future.

Does anybody have any insights on this topic or have any nuggets of gold about performance and scalability?

[eluser]mazaka[/eluser]
Hi,
my 5 cents:

I have learnt through various projects that premature optimization may actually prevent the whole project from becoming successful Smile

You will have "plenty" of time to figure out a caching solution when your see your site becoming popular. I would focus on making the service appealing in general, which Im sure you do already, and tackle the scaling issues as they come. They will never be the issues one thought from the start.

Having that said, Memcache is nice!

Pelle

[eluser]JulianM[/eluser]
Yes, I completely agree with mazaka (then here are 10 cents in total).

Try to follow the KISS principle.

[quote author="mazaka" date="1230548512"]Hi,
my 5 cents:

I have learnt through various projects that premature optimization may actually prevent the whole project from becoming successful Smile

You will have "plenty" of time to figure out a caching solution when your see your site becoming popular. I would focus on making the service appealing in general, which Im sure you do already, and tackle the scaling issues as they come. They will never be the issues one thought from the start.

Having that said, Memcache is nice!

Pelle[/quote]

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB