Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Empty inline pdf

[eluser]Geoffrey[/eluser]
I have some code that successfully generates a dynamic pdf from session data using tcpdf as an include rather than a plugin or library.

When I try to output the pdf inline ($pdf->Output("filename.pdf","I")Wink I get a blank pdf. If I change the Output command to download instead ($pdf->Output("filename.pdf","D")Wink, the pdf that is downloaded has all the information I require in it.

Interestingly, the problem with inline pdfs only happens if I have the Adobe PDF plugin (8 or 9) enabled for my browser (Safari in OS X 15.5.5). If I disable the Adobe PDF and use Safari's native pdf support, everything works fine for inline pdfs.

It never popped up as a bug for me as traditionally I don't use the Adobe PDF plugin but some of my testers in IE7 reported the issue.

Thoughts/suggestions?

My leaning is towards some sort of session problem as I had a redirect that went back to the form if 2 of the session variables were empty which I had to turn off for debugging this issue.

It doesn't appear to be a tcpdf issue as the problem exists in another codeigniter project I've done that uses fpdf. This second project is using CI 1.6.3 rather than 1.7.0 when I first encountered the issue.

Looking at the database where I am storing the session data, it seems that when Acrobat loads the pdf, a new session id is being generated in the Db with no user_data and as such, the pdf is empty. The original session is still there with the user_data I need but I can't get to it.

How do I stop a new session being initiated and get it to use the existing session?

Problem solved for now. Used the Native Session library from the wiki.

Still would've been nice to be able to have used the builtin session handling capabilities of CI.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB