Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Renaming License File

[eluser]AgentPhoenix[/eluser]
Is it permissible for me to change license.txt to codeigniter_license.txt? I read the license and there's nothing in there that explicitly states the license file can't be renamed, but I thought I'd ask just in case. Thanks!

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
I had the same question and also if moving it in to the system folder constitutes modifying the file. I hate having files clutter my app root folder.

[eluser]awpti[/eluser]
From my (vague) recollection, the license file(s) only needs to be included in something you are redistributing, otherwise you can remove it from your local configuration.

Well, I'll be distributing the app I'm working on, so it'll need to be there. However, my app has its own license and I'd like to include them both in the root, but I want to make sure people know which license is which by looking at the files.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
As long as you keep all the license info in the framework files i think you are safe. Each CI file has following comment
Code:
/**
* CodeIgniter
* An open source application development framework for PHP 4.3.2 or newer
* @package        CodeIgniter
* @author        ExpressionEngine Dev Team
* @copyright    Copyright (c) 2008, EllisLab, Inc.
* @license        http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/license.html
* @link        http://codeigniter.com
* @since        Version 1.0
* @filesource
*/
You could do the same thing for your files.

I think the license info in the files is more important than the license file itself.

[eluser]onejaguar[/eluser]
The license agreement specifically states that the full license agreement must be included with any distribution, however you are more than welcome to change the file name or embed it in the documentation that ships with your product instead (e.g. both licenses in one file).

I don't think moving the system folder constituents modifying the file; you can locate it wherever you want. You'll notice that none of the files in the "Application" directory has a CI license on top because is it expected that you will replace everything in that directory and/or move it outside the "system" directory.

I'd thought about renaming it, but you bring up a good point of just combining my license and the CI license into a single document. Interesting. Thanks for the idea. Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB