Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Open Blog 1.0.0 released

[eluser]chicoNERD[/eluser]
Oh i see, man i going to have to use programming skills.. lol
i been lazy lately.. thanks.
i be back if i run into any problems.

[eluser]chicoNERD[/eluser]
one last question..
you cant upload media with the blog entry?

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Currently you can't, but you can use external hosting sites like for example imageshack and include HTML code for image or other media in your post.

[eluser]tdktank59[/eluser]
Looks sweet, simple and yeah!

Ill take a look at this when I need a blog in the next few weeks!

[eluser]NateL[/eluser]
Hey Kami, I'd like to pick your brain a bit.. if you don't mind ;-)

I'm pretty new to CI, OOP, Frameworks, and MVC concepts. Downloading and poking around in open source apps like this is incredibly educational for me, but there are a few things that I can't quite grasp.

By default in CI, the application folder is inside the system folder. Why do you put those in the same directory?

Inside the application folder, rather than a "models" directory, you have "modules", which contains various sub directories (admin, user, pages, etc.), and inside each of those has the "models" folder.

Why did you find that beneficial in your application? Did you do it simply for organization's sake?

Also, there are no controllers. Are the controllers else where? or have you chosen to write your application in a different way so that it doesn't use controllers?

I would appreciate your thoughts. I don't wanna hijack your thread, so if you would rather PM me, that would be great!

THANKS!!

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
[quote author="NateL" date="1233297365"]Hey Kami, I'd like to pick your brain a bit.. if you don't mind ;-)

I'm pretty new to CI, OOP, Frameworks, and MVC concepts. Downloading and poking around in open source apps like this is incredibly educational for me, but there are a few things that I can't quite grasp.

By default in CI, the application folder is inside the system folder. Why do you put those in the same directory?

Inside the application folder, rather than a "models" directory, you have "modules", which contains various sub directories (admin, user, pages, etc.), and inside each of those has the "models" folder.

Why did you find that beneficial in your application? Did you do it simply for organization's sake?

Also, there are no controllers. Are the controllers else where? or have you chosen to write your application in a different way so that it doesn't use controllers?

I would appreciate your thoughts. I don't wanna hijack your thread, so if you would rather PM me, that would be great!

THANKS!![/quote]

Hello.

I think many of us started our journey like you (learning good concepts from good written applications can be very beneficial) Smile

1. You can use the same system folder for more applications, it's easier to upgrade the core and (in my opinion) it's more organized.

2. In my opinion, modular design is much better then "normal" design. It's easier to add/create new modules and you have "everything in one place" (for example, everything related with admin section is located in the admin module).

When I said everything is located in the same module folder, I meant controllers, models and languages.

Views for each module aren't located in modules/module_name/views/ folder, but in templates/template_name/module_name/.

It's easier to make and redistribute the templates if they aren't located in the modules folder and again, in my opinion it's more organized (if I wanted to give a designer access only to templates/views and views would be stored in the module folder, I would need to give him access to every module, but now I can only give him access to view/templates and he has everything he needs there).

3. Controllers are located in modules/module_name/controllers/

Oh and I don't like CodeIgniter coding rules/recommendations for variable and function names (in my private CodeIgniter projects I use camelCased names).

In my opinion, separating variable names with underscores is crap and camelCase is much better (if I'm not mistaken, Zend coding standard for PHP recommends using camelCased names).

Anyway, that's topic for another thread :lol:

[eluser]Santiago Dimattía[/eluser]
Hello.

I'm translating Open Blog to Spanish but I recently found an small problem (I think).
Why you define the languages in settings_lang.php?

Example:
1) I have an Open Blog installation and I download the "Spanish" translation (non-official).
2) I upload all the files to the FTP and the lenguaje to the DB (language, abbreviation, author, is_default).

So, when I go to Settings page, Open Blog can't find "spanish" translation. The solution, add this line to settings_lang.php:
Code:
$lang['spanish'] = "Spanish";

My question is, why you are defining the lenguajes there? Why not define them in the DB?
If there is another way to add an Languaje, i didn't find it, sorry Tongue

----
Oh, and sorry for my english, it sucks (And Google translator too).

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Hello.

settings_lang.php is just another language file, which among other localized words defines the localized name for the different languages (for example, in Spanish settings_lang.php, $lang['spanish'] would be set to Español, while in English settings_lang.php file, this variable would be set to Spanish and so on).

Hopefully you know what I mean Smile

And yes, for the new language to be visible, you need to manually add a new entry to the database (new version will most likely include installer for templates and languages).

[eluser]Santiago Dimattía[/eluser]
[quote author="Kami_" date="1233364024"]Hello.

settings_lang.php is just another language file, which among other localized words defines the localized name for the different languages (for example, in Spanish settings_lang.php, $lang['spanish'] would be set to Español, while in English settings_lang.php file, this variable would be set to Spanish and so on).

Hopefully you know what I mean Smile

And yes, for the new language to be visible, you need to manually add a new entry to the database (new version will most likely include installer for templates and languages).[/quote]

Ok, I understand that (And I like it).
But if the translation don't exist for that language, it should show the original language (Field "language" from the DB maybe?).
Because it is ugly to enter the settings page and see a blank option in the language select.

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Oh, now I understand what you wanted to tell Smile

I will make proper changes in the next release, thanks.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB