Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Open Blog 1.0.0 released

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Quote:Open Blog 1.1.0 is here

As I have promised, Open Blog 1.1.0 is finally here!

This release includes many new features as well as some minor bug fixes.

Here are just a few of them:

- Social bookmarking - add your posts to Digg, Technorati, Furl, StumbleUpon or del.ico.us with just a matter of click
- Forgotten password - if you lost your password, you can easily retrieve it
- Dynamic sidebar - now you can enable, disable and position sidebar items
- Dynamic navigation - with a few lines of javascript, positioning navigation items is a lot easier now
- Statistics - view your blog statistics
- Languages - a page that shows installed languages
- Templates - Interlude was removed from the default installation and replaced with Emplode (the Interlude template can still be downloaded as a "custom template" from the templates page)
- Extended tinyMCE WYSIWYG editor with new elements
- Upgraded to CodeIgniter 1.7.1
- Upgraded to a new CodeIgniter Form validation library
- Removed PHP short tags
- Made code more "PHP 5 compatible" (added function and properties access modifiers, removed other deprecated code)

The full list can be found in the changelog.

If you are too lazy to read the list or you just want to see it for yourself don't hesitate and visit the demo!

Because of a short time frame (and a busy schedule), some cool features were left out (for now, I'll keep it as a surprise and won't tell you which), but don't worry as they will be included in the next release.

Updated guides (including the one which describes how to upgrade from Open Blog 1.0.0 to 1.1.0) can be found on the support page and Open Blog 1.1.0 can be downloaded from the downloads page.

If you have a problem or just want to say thank you, you can visit the "official" Open Blog thread located on the CodeIgniter forums or contact me via email (bugs can be reported using the bug tracker).

Sincerely,
Tomaž

[eluser]Sebish[/eluser]
Thanks Kami_

Another great release on your behalf, a lot has changed and it's and excellent example of what can be done with CI. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks again Wink

[edit]
Just wondering why you opted to changed all your '<?' tags to '<?php' and why you changed your '<?=' to 'echo'? Was it for performance issues or compatibility?
[/edit]

[eluser]sofbas[/eluser]
Great release

just a small issue, on your website in the downloads section, the Image link is still linking to Open Blog 1.0.0 (but the Zip Package link is pointing to the correct version)

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
[quote author="Sebish" date="1235969685"]Thanks Kami_

Another great release on your behalf, a lot has changed and it's and excellent example of what can be done with CI. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks again Wink

[edit]
Just wondering why you opted to changed all your '<?' tags to '<?php' and why you changed your '<?=' to 'echo'? Was it for performance issues or compatibility?
[/edit][/quote]

Thanks Smile

I have changed it because of the compatibility issues and to comply with the CodeIgniter style guide.

[quote author="sofbas" date="1235973465"]Great release

just a small issue, on your website in the downloads section, the Image link is still linking to Open Blog 1.0.0 (but the Zip Package link is pointing to the correct version)[/quote]

Thanks, didn't even notice it.

It's fixed now Smile

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Quote:Spanish translation for 1.1.0

Thanks to <a href="http://ivanargulo.wordpress.com" target="_blank">Ivan Argulo</a>, Open Blog 1.1.0 is now also available in the Spanish language.

You can test the translation by visiting the <a href="http://www.open-blog.info/demo/" target="_blank">demo</a>.

The Spanish language pack can be downloaded <a href="http://www.open-blog.info/languages/" target="_blank">here</a>.

The archive includes a file which needs to be imported in the database so the Spanish translation will be available for you to chose in the administrator panel.

Regards,
Tomaž

[eluser]Sgt Quagmire[/eluser]
I've been looking everywhere for a nice code base to start with instead of creating everything from scratch. As soon as I came across Open Office I was extremely impressed. I downloaded the code and gave it a look and this package looks to me like it could be a good starting point for someone making a site with CI. It has authorization, roles, blog, and cms... all of which I was looking for to use with codeigniter (love this framework btw).

Is this project set up to where I can add my own modules/controllers/pages and customize the look and feel to my clients' needs? Would you recommend this or are there other 'starter kits' that would be better to build a site off of? I'm not trying to find some easy, cut and paste method, I just don't want to re-invent the wheel. I would gladly contribute whatever plugins or modules I might come up with along the way.

Again, nice work!

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
[quote author="Sgt Quagmire" date="1236407381"]I've been looking everywhere for a nice code base to start with instead of creating everything from scratch. As soon as I came across Open Office I was extremely impressed. I downloaded the code and gave it a look and this package looks to me like it could be a good starting point for someone making a site with CI. It has authorization, roles, blog, and cms... all of which I was looking for to use with codeigniter (love this framework btw).

Is this project set up to where I can add my own modules/controllers/pages and customize the look and feel to my clients' needs? Would you recommend this or are there other 'starter kits' that would be better to build a site off of? I'm not trying to find some easy, cut and paste method, I just don't want to re-invent the wheel. I would gladly contribute whatever plugins or modules I might come up with along the way.

Again, nice work![/quote]

Well, that's not Open Blog's main purpose but I think you can still use it as a solid foundation for your CMS or website.

Keep in mind, that you will probably need to make some serious modifications to some modules and libraries (especially Authentication and Access library), because they aren't really made for CMS so most likely, they don't offer all the features you need.

[eluser]ardinotow[/eluser]
A bug report (OpenBlog 1.1). The url of comments' author will go to wrong link if I fill website field with some-url.com (without http://). So here is the patch:

The first $data['comments'][$key]['author'] should be changed to:
Code:
$data['comments'][$key]['author'] = "<a href=".prep_url($website).">$display_name</a>";

And the second $data['comments'][$key]['author'] should be changed to:
Code:
$data['comments'][$key]['author'] = "<a href=".prep_url($comment['author_website']).">" . $comment['author'] . "</a>";

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Thanks for the bug report and a "patch".

It will be included/fixed in the next release.

[eluser]Kami_[/eluser]
Quote:Vector Lover template is available for the download

After few days of silence, another beautiful template for Open Blog was released.

It's a modern and stylish two-column theme which uses a combination of brown, green and gray colors designed by <a href="http://www.styleshout.com/" target="_blank">styleshout</a>.

So head out to the <a href="http://www.open-blog.info/templates">templates page</a> and download the new template or visit the <a href="http://www.open-blog.info/demo">demo</a> for the preview

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB