Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Duplicate entry check

[eluser]mathinoz[/eluser]
Hello, I am new to codeigniter (and to programming) and i am having the following problem.

I have created my controller that lists the entries of the table, deletes an entry and of course adds an entry or edit an entry. I wanted to avoid having dublicate ('title') entries so i have created my own callback validation function to avoid this and this works fine when i add a new entry.. BUT there is a problem when i edit an entry.

When i add a new entry i can check succesfully if the new title already exist in my database, but I cannot use my callback function when i edit an entry cause it will always produce an error.

My callback function is the following

$rules['domain']= "callback_duplicate_entry"; - this is the way i call it in my controller

and the actual function is
function duplicate_entry()
{
$this->load->model('Mdomains', '', TRUE);
$checktitles['data'] = $this->Mdomains->getalldomains();
foreach ($checktitles['data'] as $v){
if ($v['domain'] == $this->input->post('domain'))
{
$this->validation->set_message('duplicate_entry', 'The domain name - ['.$this->input->post('domain').'] already exist.');

return FALSE;
}
}

SO as you can guess when i edit an entry, the title exists in the database and the callback function will ALWAYS produse an error.

Is the method i am using in the validation callback function correct? should i do it in a different way?
Any ideas?
Thanks

[eluser]Johan André[/eluser]
Hey!

The dupecheck will always return that theres a duplicate entry since the post you currently editing is in the table and included in the check.

You should do:

SELECT 1 FROM table WHERE id != 'here goes the primary key of the post you are editing' AND name = 'the name to check for'

The query returns 1 if the name is found in any OTHER record other than the one being edited.

The problem is to get the id into the form validation callback function. I solved it by (in my edit method) setting $this->id to the id of the post being edited. Then you can use it in the callback function (as long as it is in the same controller ofcourse).

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply,
i thought of that before , but how do i pass the primary key into the callback function?

In your controller, do:

Code:
function edit($id)
{
    // do your editing of post with id = $id here

// Save the id to the controllers variables
    $this->edited_id = $id;
}

function callback_dupecheck($name)
{
    // Check for dupes
    $id = $this->edited_id;
}

Something like that.

Thanks !!! that worked !!!
I did not know that i could pass a variable to controller variables...

No problem!

You got access to the variables of the extended classes too, you know!
It's the magic of OOP... Well, to some extent anyway! Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB