Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Client convinced to use CodeIgniter instead of .NET

[eluser]JulianM[/eluser]
Hi, I'd like to comment about a recent project I'm working on.

I have convinced the client to go ahead with CodeIgniter and PHP instead of using .NET technology. The initial .NET technology to be used was a customization of DotNetNuke. Instead, I gave they a comprehensive pros/cons document and finally the client choose to go ahead with CodeIgniter. This decision was not trivial since they have bought already the ultimate Windows infrastructure.

I don't think this is a single case alone, I guess this is happening so often nowadays and also for other projects, but I think this is a great announcement for CodeIgniter community. I hope this kind of announcements encourage to continue the great success the CI community is doing.

(My big concern now is if everything will work ok in Windows)

[eluser]alaa007[/eluser]
Everything will work perfectly fine under windows, have no worries.
CI works fine with MSSQL n case u dont have mysql on ur server.
plus CI works under IIS in case u dont have apache.
at the end its PHP so it will work anywhere Smile
good luck,
could u please share the document with us?

[eluser]JulianM[/eluser]
Thanks alaa007 for your response. Yes, I forget to mention that before convince the client, I did some tests in the windows environment. Their windows environment has this configuration.

* Windows 2008 Web Server
* IIS7
* Fast-cgi
* SQL Server 2005 (Windows Authentication only)

My simple tests worked very well, however I needed to use the SQL Server PHP driver (sqlsrv). I also needed to modify the sqlsrv library to use Windows Authentication only because by default it assumes Mixed Mode.

Everything works fine until now.

About the pros/cons, please let me ask before publishing it here, because I'm under NDA agreement with my client.

Thanks

[quote author="alaa007" date="1233602855"]Everything will work perfectly fine under windows, have no worries.
CI works fine with MSSQL n case u dont have mysql on ur server.
plus CI works under IIS in case u dont have apache.
at the end its PHP so it will work anywhere Smile
good luck,
could u please share the document with us?[/quote]

[eluser]alaa007[/eluser]
ok no problem , all the best.
there is an alternative, why not to install wamp??
http://www.wampserver.com/en/

[eluser]JulianM[/eluser]
Yes, I have xampp (not Wamp) in my local environment. It works very well, too.
However, for this specific project I'm working on, I need to run it on the given environment (IIS7 with PHP).

I really would like to run on apache, since I have more experience. For example my concern is if I would have problems with rewrites or removing the index.php from URL in IIS.

Thank you for your responses.

[quote author="alaa007" date="1233605121"]ok no problem , all the best.
there is an alternative, why not to install wamp??
http://www.wampserver.com/en/[/quote]

[eluser]alaa007[/eluser]
u can do it on IIS too, its easy just google it.

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
I was in a similar situation 2 weeks ago. My apartment locator and listing site, http://www.apartmentninjas.com, was originally .ASP (DotNetNuke), but is now PHP and I couldn't be happier. If you plan to get serious with Search Engine Optimization than PHP is the only way to go. PHP gives the webmaster full control over just about everything besides things hardwired in the backend. Simple things such as title tags, url and meta data is impossible to manipulate in ASP format. Do yourself a favor and switch to PHP. You'll be happy when it's all said and done.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="JulianM" date="1233605314"]
I really would like to run on apache, since I have more experience. For example my concern is if I would have problems with rewrites or removing the index.php from URL in IIS.
[/quote]
It is possible but the rewrite rules are usually in a different format than the normal (apache) .htaccess, so finding documentation is harder. You could use an external module (we use Helicon's) for handling rewrite rules.

We also had a Big Company™ who bought into the whole Windows infrastructure. It took a while to get the rewriting working for us. One of the big disadvantages we had was that PATH_INFO was not available (which is the preferred uri_protocol imho. This bit of code fixed it for us, but you might have to experiment a bit. Hope it helps you a little bit:
Code:
/* httpd.ini */

// we keep all assets in /public
RewriteRule /(?:public)/(.*) $0 [I,L]
RewriteRule /favicon\.ico $0 [I,L]
RewriteRule /robots\.txt $0 [I,L]
RewriteRule /sitemap\.xml $0 [I,L]
RewriteRule /(.*) /index.php/$1 [I,L]

[code]
/* config.php */
    // IIS Hack
    if (isset($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE']) && strpos($_SERVER['SERVER_SOFTWARE'], 'IIS') > 0)
    {
        $pos = strpos($_SERVER['HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL'],'?');
        if ($pos !== FALSE)
            $_SERVER['HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL'] = substr($_SERVER['HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL'],0,$pos);
        $config['uri_protocol']    = "HTTP_X_REWRITE_URL";
    }
    else
    {
        $config['uri_protocol']    = "PATH_INFO";
    }

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB