• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your impression of CI3 over others?

(09-20-2015, 01:05 PM)ivantcholakov Wrote: 40k GBP for London is a quite small amount.

Thats what im saying, thats hardly entry level where im at. (~$60k USD)

(09-20-2015, 10:56 AM)jLinux Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 09:48 AM)josetrindade Wrote: Look: I got turned down twice on job interviews because i was still using Codeigniter. So i'm done with it. It's either Laravel or Synfony for me because that's what the job market is asking. If you run a small firm and are able to determine the technology being used, great. Stick with CI. Otherwise, smart up and learn to use a modern framework or you're not getting a job.

Where do you live? Maybe i can help. My uncles an awesome recruiter

Thank you, but i don't think you can help. I'm from Portugal.

(09-21-2015, 02:54 PM)josetrindade Wrote:
(09-20-2015, 10:56 AM)jLinux Wrote:
(09-18-2015, 09:48 AM)josetrindade Wrote: Look: I got turned down twice on job interviews because i was still using Codeigniter. So i'm done with it. It's either Laravel or Synfony for me because that's what the job market is asking. If you run a small firm and are able to determine the technology being used, great. Stick with CI. Otherwise, smart up and learn to use a modern framework or you're not getting a job.

Where do you live? Maybe i can help. My uncles an awesome recruiter

Thank you, but i don't think you can help. I'm from Portugal.
Eek, yeah, sorry. 

I would say try something like Elance, but when I tried that, there was no way I could make it, theres so many people from India there that can afford to work for like $5 and $6 an hour, doing some pretty impressive work... and all validated for, so it was a lost cause for me.

I own my own business and I have my site built in codeigniter. It's a pretty complex application, but codeigniter handles most of everything just fine. 

I do consulting work on the side and absolutely every company that isn't built on top of some legacy framework is using laravel/symphony if it's php development or rails. The pay for laravel is substantially more than anything I would do for codeigniter. In fact, I usually don't even take up consulting work for codeigniter projects because its 20% less than I'd make coding in Laravel.

I've gotten requests to work on codeigniter projects for the equivalent of 60k a year while I usually do jobs for laravel starting at 72k.

But honestly, if you're looking to really get paid, learn how to work Linux. Maybe learn how to setup some opscode stuff and you're looking at 100k+ easily.

As for the actual comparison between CI and Laravel, everyone is right when they say you can do everything in CI that you can do in Laravel, but that's not the point. I can do things in Laravel in a third of the time I do it in CI, which if you own a business will know is one of the most important things to be able to do.
Codeigniter is simply one of the tools you need to learn to be a successful developer. Always add more tools to your coding arsenal!

(09-22-2015, 08:37 AM)albertleao Wrote: But honestly, if you're looking to really get paid, learn how to work Linux. Maybe learn how to setup some opscode stuff and you're looking at 100k+ easily.

Yep! Im a Linux Engineer, ive got about about 7 years experience, about 5 of that is professional experience, Im mostly self taught, learned Linux by starting my own biz, i didnt make much, but the goal was to learn Linux and get my foot in the door, and THAT was a great success. (In interviews, saying that yiu starte your own business to learn looks way better than paying someone thousands to tll you what to learn, lol... not that college is useless). 

In the process of all that, i learned a lot of PHP, Perl, MySQL, Bash, Etc..) And I can promise you that the market for Linux admins with scripting experience is booming! :-) you'd make $60k/yr for entry lvl, im over $120k, so imagine what even more experience will do! Im the youngest admin/engineer at every place ive worked thus far, lol

Most places I go that have me do PHP work, I notice that if they have CI and want me to work on it, its because they are heavily relying on it for something else, and dont have the time to update it. Anything new is Laravel.

I do trust that CI4 will be AWESOME though, and utilize some new features in PHP that arent utilized yet, (Namespaces, a better ORM, etc etc)

Good luck!

P.S., albertleao, +rep, just because, lol

(09-22-2015, 09:13 AM)jLinux Wrote:
(09-22-2015, 08:37 AM)albertleao Wrote: But honestly, if you're looking to really get paid, learn how to work Linux. Maybe learn how to setup some opscode stuff and you're looking at 100k+ easily.

Yep! Im a Linux Engineer, ive got about about 7 years experience, about 5 of that is professional experience, Im mostly self taught, learned Linux by starting my own biz, i didnt make much, but the goal was to learn Linux and get my foot in the door, and THAT was a great success. (In interviews, saying that yiu starte your own business to learn looks way better than paying someone thousands to tll you what to learn, lol... not that college is useless). 

In the process of all that, i learned a lot of PHP, Perl, MySQL, Bash, Etc..) And I can promise you that the market for Linux admins with scripting experience is booming! :-) you'd make $60k/yr for entry lvl, im over $120k, so imagine what even more experience will do! Im the youngest admin/engineer at every place ive worked thus far, lol

Most places I go that have me do PHP work, I notice that if they have CI and want me to work on it, its because they are heavily relying on it for something else, and dont have the time to update it. Anything new is Laravel.

I do trust that CI4 will be AWESOME though, and utilize some new features in PHP that arent utilized yet, (Namespaces, a better ORM, etc etc)

Good luck!

P.S., albertleao, +rep, just because, lol

Omg, I no longer have negative rep. Thank you Smile.

I feel like a lot of CI developers are either new to development or just haven't explored outside the realm of scripting languages. Here's my advice, learn all the tools available to you!!!

Yes, Laravel is more organized, more refined, and more advanced, but at the end of the day what makes my app work isn't the framework, it's the combination of PHP with Node, Opscode, Message Queues, Linux Scripting and more...

(09-22-2015, 10:53 AM)albertleao Wrote: I feel like a lot of CI developers are either new to development or just haven't explored outside the realm of scripting languages. Here's my advice, learn all the tools available to you!!!

VERY true... I wouldn't say I'm "new" to PHP, I've used a lot of PHP in my day, but it was usually for automation or just a quick interface to do something easy, like change an LDAP password or something like that, and unless its strictly web based, its never even PHP, usually Perl, Python, Ruby, Bash, etc. Ive always thought oh PHP as strictly a web language. But ive seen some CLI scripts that were PHP, really kinda weird, lol

I am however, new to frameworks. CI was definitely my first framework, and I jumped right to it because it was something that was used at my work. Now that I look back, it was an old legacy web-app, that was very outdated. lol. Where Im at now, they use CI, and they want me to fix whats broken in it, then re-write it in Laravel.

I didnt do any looking around, so when I started working on the application im on now, I started using CI for it, and im about 75% done, then I read this article comparing PHP Frameworks, and Laravel just blew me away. I was so upset I didn't do ANY research for frameworks. I also researched some JS frameworks, and fell in love with Angular.

My app is still in Alpha, so when 1.0 is pushed out, it will be all CI. But when we start development for 2.0, it will probably be Laravel and Angular, unless I fall head over heals for CI4 (if its out).

P.S. I am in no way saying CI isn't a good framework, its great. Easy, stable, quick, popular. Just that theres another one out there (Laravel) that has all that, and a lot of other new features from PHP, and its in high demand.

I tried laravel for over 6 months.
I know it's cool features like iOC, dependency injection, facade, composer, built-in phpunit, middle-ware, etc... etc... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... ha ha ha

But I came back here for (CodeIgniter) because I feel no pressure.
I just Love CodeIgniter period. ^__^

(09-22-2015, 05:13 PM)solidcodes Wrote: I tried laravel for over 6 months.
I know it's cool features like iOC, dependency injection, facade, composer, built-in phpunit, middle-ware, etc... etc... blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... ha ha ha

But I came back here for (CodeIgniter) because I feel no pressure.
I just Love CodeIgniter period. ^__^

Pressure? what do you mean.

And we all love the things we know and feel comfortable with.

the name itself CodeIgniter it sounds like you are an expert computer programmer or hacker.
Laravel? what's that a flower? lol ha ha ha

Digg   Delicious   Reddit   Facebook   Twitter   StumbleUpon  

Theme © 2014 iAndrew