Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Passing objects around within CodeIgniter

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Hi everyone. I would like some of my controllers, models and libraries to work with objects. Trouble is, I'm not quite sure where to start. However, I do have some specific questions. If a few people could answer them I would really appreciate it.

Where to you define your object? In a library, another file or above the controller?

How do you load your object? Using CIs built-in loader or using the include statement?

Many thanks!

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
Most of your classes will be libraries. You can use
Code:
$this->load->library('your_class_name')
to init the object in your controller or model.

Hi. Thanks for your reply.

The objects I had in mind are used more like simple containers, rather than a library. The object may be instanciated as many times as needed.

Example:
Code:
class Resource {
    var $id = 0;
    var $title = '';
    var $description = '';
}

Sorry for not making myself clearer.

[eluser]Muser[/eluser]
[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1233950617"]Hi. Thanks for your reply.

The objects I had in mind are used more like simple containers, rather than a library. The object may be instanciated as many times as needed.

Example:
Code:
class Resource {
    var $id = 0;
    var $title = '';
    var $description = '';
}

Sorry for not making myself clearer.[/quote]

It should be a Model

Good point! I agree.

I'm still not sure how I should instantiate them, however. If I want to instantiate multiple instances of the model, should I load the model using the "include" function, or via CodeIgniter's built-in loader?

Thanks again.

[eluser]kyleect[/eluser]
You can still use pure PHP if that solution works for you. CI isn't designed to replace PHP syntax. You could include and manually init the class into an object.

Great. I was just growing concerned that bypassing CI might have been considered to be an "ugly hack", to get around a problem that could be solved more elegantly.

Thanks a lot, both of you, for your advice. I really appreciate it.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB