Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Question about CI versions

Which is the most advanced and up to date version available to use?

this one https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter (dev-version)

or the latest 3.0rc3 version for download here http://www.codeigniter.com/

Is this the most up to date documentation available to download? http://www.codeigniter.com/download I know there is a user guide in the developer version (https://github.com/bcit-ci/CodeIgniter) but I have no clue about how to make the documentation using sphinx... or cilexer... on Ubuntu

Thank You!

3.0rc3 is the most recent/updated version you should try it!

Dev version on github IS 3.0rc3.

The latest "release" in the "master" branch is the most recent stable one. It includes the user guide already built.
The user guide for the "release" branch can be downloaded separately, on the "download" page.
The online user guide on the main website should be the same version as this.

The "develop" branch is where changes are made. The user guide in it needs to be built using sphinx.

Which to use? If you are developing apps, I would stick to the release version.
If you want to contribute to the framework, then you should fork the repository and work with the "develop: branch.

(03-22-2015, 08:25 AM)CroNiX Wrote: Dev version on github IS 3.0rc3.

Not exactly ... 3.0rc3 is a tag made from the develop branch, but tags are immutable and branches are not. Any commit to develop afterwards makes it more recent.

(03-22-2015, 08:30 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The latest "release" in the "master" branch is the most recent stable one. It includes the user guide already built.
The user guide for the "release" branch can be downloaded separately, on the "download" page.

The "develop" branch is where changes are made. The user guide in it needs to be built using sphinx.

If you want to contribute to the framework, then you should fork the repository and work with the "develop: branch.

Excellent responce, very clear now... It is a great help to have the user guide already built in... Thank You!

(03-22-2015, 09:27 AM)Narf Wrote:

Not exactly ... 3.0rc3 is a tag made from the develop branch, but tags are immutable and branches are not. Any commit to develop afterwards makes it more recent.

Good point... So the latest "release" (3.0rc3) in the "master" branch is the most recent stable one for production. And the develop branch is the most up to date. So how do I know the best time to update the "master" branch with the develop branch updates?

Thank You all guys!

(03-22-2015, 02:46 PM)Mel9pr Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 08:30 AM)ciadmin Wrote: The latest "release" in the "master" branch is the most recent stable one. It includes the user guide already built.

Excellent responce, very clear now... It is a great help to have the user guide already built in... Thank You!

Good point... So the latest "release" (3.0rc3) in the "master" branch is the most recent stable one for production. And the develop branch is the most up to date. So how do I know the best time to update the "master" branch with the develop branch updates?

Thank You all guys!

The best time is when we "release" stable builds, eg. 3.0, 3.1, ...
If you are looking to contribute, then you want to keep your fork uptodate with every change in the repo Smile

(03-22-2015, 03:40 PM)ciadmin Wrote:
(03-22-2015, 02:46 PM)Mel9pr Wrote:

Thank You all guys!

The best time is when we "release" stable builds, eg. 3.0, 3.1, ...
If you are looking to contribute, then you want to keep your fork uptodate with every change in the repo Smile

Ok! Thank You! Very Much!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB