Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
best webserver for CI application

Hi Guys,

I am almost ready to deploy my CI application and I wanted some tips regarding hardware. I will probably use digitalOcean or amazon AWS.

I've heard nginx + php_fpm is faster than apache2. Does it have any impact in CI application ?

My application is not too complex, doesn't have a lot of tables and most of the queries are only inserts and select, I don't have complex sql queries. However there's a possibility that my web application be access to many people so I will have a lot of concurrent connections.

I am using mysql also....

So, what do you guys says ? Should I work with nginx or apache ?

Thanks

I can't say from personal experience but I found this article interesting.
http://www.itworld.com/article/2695421/c...pache.html
Hey, don't work without a PHP debugger. Several free IDEs have this features built in. Two are NetBeans and CodeLobster. Without a debugger, it's like you're driving with a blindfold on -- you are going to crash!

related speed tips: if you can use codeigniter caching that will speed up your application especially for concurrent. also be sure and index the important columns in your database table, makes a huge difference in db response time.

Hey gabrielpasv,

I would go with Apache2.

Everybody want as much speed as possible. So after hearing and reading about nginx I started out installing nginx on my test server hosted by DigitalOcean, but somehow couldn't get the configuration right. When trying to fix the rewrite problems I had for a couple of weeks, I started over using Apache. I just couldn't solve my problems while looking for solutions online, and I just got absolutely NO help on the forums. I decided that for me the time wasn't right to start with nginx, if there's so little people around to help out configuring the darn thing.

I have no experience with Amazone AWS but I can tell you that I like DigitalOcean a lot. When I made the choice to go with Apache, I had my application running in less than half an hour. You just choose where in the world your server should be installed, pick a distribution, click some features like backup or not and the server is done within a minute of time. Then you have to install the different servers like Apache and Mysql, and in my case I installed a control panel that did all that stuff for me. Of course you have a little configuration going on after the control panel was installed, but nothing special. And after copying may application to the server, I only had to change the base_url to get it running.

As for the speed, I wouldn't worry about that a whole lot. You have chosen CI to develop your application and CI is still one of the fastest frameworks out there, and you can look into web page and database caching to make your application run even faster. You can always put your application on a nginx server when your project hits 100.000 users a day or whatever...  Wink

Good luck!

(03-27-2015, 02:25 AM)RogerMore Wrote: I just couldn't solve my problems while looking for solutions online, and I just got absolutely NO help on the forums. I decided that for me the time wasn't right to start with nginx, if there's so little people around to help out configuring the darn thing.

This is more about your problems with Nginx than Nginx being a superb web server.

Nginx is far easier to use than Apache also.

I've been running Nginx for 5 years now, with my current implementation doing over 200+ million requests in 30 days.

Nginx > Apache.  It's not even funny.

Yeah, that's really helping a lot. So a guy can't write down his experience..? 

I know it's a lot of letters, but if you really read peoples posts instead pissing vinegar all over the forum, you knew that I wasn't comparing speeds between Apache and Nginx. And I never said that Nginx wasn't superb. Reading your post across the forum indicates that you're the person only points out other peoples problems and try to push the people behind CI to release new versions. Instead of giving people some constructive feedback you waiting to provoke people to start the next flame war. Always the negativity...

With your 5 years of experience and implementations with millions of requests a day your help could be of use and help some of us wanting to try new things like Nginx. The questions about Nginx on this forum are almost all unsolved, so you could have been making a difference there. Some people here are just developers, and not Linux gurus so configuring something like Nginx maybe not so easy. You can understand that in my case after a couple of months trying to fix things and waiting for someone to reply my question, I just started my new project on an Apache server so I could move on. IF you were honest, you know that configuring Apache for CI is much easier. There is absolutely no knowledge needed, just 5 lines of code in .htaccess to get it to work.

I'm guessing you can care less, but maybe next time you are going to post something you could think about if it's not negative and really helpful to others.Otherwise people aren't interested. I know I'm not!

Short answer: all servers are fine for CI ;o)

I use webfaction.com

(This post was last modified: 03-28-2015, 12:16 PM by no1youknowz.)

(03-28-2015, 04:49 AM)RogerMore Wrote: I wasn't comparing speeds between Apache and Nginx. 

Neither was I.  I said it was easier to use than Apache.  Can you not read?

(03-28-2015, 04:49 AM)RogerMore Wrote: Reading your post across the forum indicates that you're the person only points out other peoples problems and try to push the people behind CI to release new versions.

There's plenty of reasons why CI is where it is and why another more popular framework (laravel) is where it's at.  Why should'nt someone push the devs for newer better versions?  I would labour this point more, but I doubt you will get it from your limited perspective.

(03-28-2015, 04:49 AM)RogerMore Wrote: The questions about Nginx on this forum are almost all unsolved, so you could have been making a difference there.

There are answers across google from many forums/places like StackOverflow.  Whats so hard in finding those answers and working them out?

(03-28-2015, 04:49 AM)RogerMore Wrote: You can understand that in my case after a couple of months trying to fix things

Did you know, you could have gone on fiverr.com and paid someone $5 to work it out for you?  Jeeze.

(03-28-2015, 04:49 AM)RogerMore Wrote: IF you were honest, you know that configuring Apache for CI is much easier. There is absolutely no knowledge needed, just 5 lines of code in .htaccess to get it to work.

Actually it's not.  You don't even need an .htaccess file for nginx lol.  All you need is a properly configured nginx for CI.

Either way, I'm done with this thread.  

As the saying goes.  A bad workman blames his tools!

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB