Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
use of smarty

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
i am wondering if using smarty will slow down the performance. It seems that codeigniter doesn't advocate the use of template library. Is using smarty really worthy?

[eluser]pistolPete[/eluser]
Using a template engine of course slows down the performance, because additional parsing is needed.
There is a very basic CI Template Parser Class.
The user guide states:
Quote:Note: CodeIgniter does not require you to use this class since using pure PHP in your view pages lets them run a little faster.

[eluser]brianw1975[/eluser]
I'm using smarty and I love it because:
a) i'm familiar with it and
b) i hate putting php inside html

Plus it expands my experience by making me write custom smarty functions.

[eluser]gungbao[/eluser]
I am working every day with Smarty (plugins are really powerful, caching levels are good way for very good performance but far away of CIs Caching) and I love and hate it.

The question is: why do you want to use it? For small to medium projects, all the CI helpers enable for fast and clean template-markup., giving same powerful templating as with smarty. You would just move a lot of CIss power from template to controllers - this is where the debates begin... I dont like fat models nor rich templates but fat Models, so ... IgnitedRecord is my friend.

As long as you have no splitup between core and design coders, I see no benefit.

Quote:i am wondering if using smarty will slow down the performance
stop wondering, it will definitively slow down hardly, coz one of CIs fantastic performance comes from the lightweight pure php template-engine.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB