Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Database Development

[eluser]Jonas G[/eluser]
Hi

I constantly find myself in need of a "mapping" application that I can use to draw up my database schema. Basicly I just need to draw my different tables and write down the different fields and link the relational fields to each other.

What do you guys do? Any good applications (i'm on a mac)? Any online services?

Jonas

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I'm a happy mysql workbench user but on the download page there is only the 5.1 alpha release for mac.

[eluser]Jonas G[/eluser]
Thanks for the reply Smile

The app looks awesome but is unfortunately extremely buggy. Too bad - it would have been just what i am looking for (and even more)

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
[url="http://ellislab.com/forums/member/86842/"]Tornup[/url] suggested [url="http://www.codediesel.com/sql/browser-based-sql-schema-designer/"]WWW SQL Designer[/url], which is a very nice looking browser based-application. I haven't tested it, but it certainly looks great.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1236110895"]I'm a happy mysql workbench user but on the download page there is only the 5.1 alpha release for mac.[/quote]

Somebody else mentioned Workbench a few days ago, and I was about to go on a huge rant about how Sun keep missing the point, biting the hands the feed it, etc .. because the last time I looked Workbench was available for Win32 only. Happily discovered they've (finally) done a Linux port, which is about the same status (alpha) as the Mac version.

Initial feelings about this app - it's nice. (Gotta love reviews with brevity.) I've been using the other two official MySQL GUI tools (mysql administrator and mysql query browser) for a while, and apart from the fact that they don't fit well onto a netbook display, they're .. well, nice. Also.

[eluser]JayTee[/eluser]
I'm still old-school... I use pencil and paper first.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
I'm with JayTee. Nothing beats pencil and paper.

[eluser]Relexx[/eluser]
if Mysql Workbench is to buggy for you (I have only found model size my issue) then try dbdesigner, the developer of that is the same as the lead for mysql workbench.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
[quote author="Colin Williams" date="1236143717"]I'm with JayTee. Nothing beats pencil and paper.[/quote]

I reckon Superman can!

[eluser]Milos Dakic[/eluser]
We use SQLyog at work. It's not too bad for what we need it for, but then again we haven't used it to its full potential.

EDIT:

Sorry just saw your on a Mac! You can have a look at Navcat. Or just like JayTee and Colin said, nothing beats pen and paper Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB