Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
E-mail library not properly sending AUTH LOGIN

[eluser]mscahill[/eluser]
I'm attempting to send e-mail through an authenticated SMTP server with CI's e-mail library. I've successfully sent an e-mail with fsockwrite, but cannot do so with CI. Here is the error I get when trying to send an e-mail:

hello: The following SMTP error was encountered: Failed to send AUTH LOGIN command. Error:
to: The following SMTP error was encountered:
data: The following SMTP error was encountered:
451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input
The following SMTP error was encountered:
451 4.7.0 Timeout waiting for client input

Unable to send email using PHP SMTP. Your server might not be configured to send mail using this method.

Any ideas? I can't seem to isolate the point at which the error occurs. Perhaps it's extra characters after the HELO or something...

So it appears as if CI is getting no response from EHLO. In fact, CI doesn't even wait for a response from EHLO. When it tries to send AUTH LOGIN, though, it still gets no response. Could this be an e-mail configuration problem? Line ending problem? Timing problem?

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
it can help to post code.

I figured it out right before lunch. I had set the configuration wrong. I had:

Code:
$config['crlf'] = '\r\n';
$config['newline'] = '\r\n';

instead of:

Code:
$config['crlf'] = "\r\n";
$config['newline'] = "\r\n";

[eluser]whobutsb[/eluser]
Oh wow this is awesome! Thank you so much for posting that change. I've been trying everything to figure out what was wrong with the SMTP mail!!!

Thank you!

[eluser]bhensonweb[/eluser]
I had this problem as well, and this fixed it!

I have been in the habit of using the single quotations for string variables, maybe I should change...

This was the returned error:

451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.
The following SMTP error was encountered: 451 See http://pobox.com/~djb/docs/smtplf.html.
Unable to send email using PHP SMTP. Your server might not be configured to send mail using this method.

Thanks.

[eluser]sophistry[/eluser]
using single-quotes for putting strings into variables is a good habit, don't change.

single-quotes are faster.
they are easier to read.
they tell other programmers (who may read your code) that you don't intend the string to be parsed for variables.

double-quotes tells PHP to look at the string and swap in any variables.

in this case, (special chars CR LF TAB etc..) you NEED to put them in double-quotes so that PHP "interprets" them correctly.

just remember: always use double-quotes for the special chars: "\n\r\t" (note: this is not an exhaustive list, just the most common)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB