Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Advice please on best way to set Global Information

[eluser]opel[/eluser]
I am in the middle of building a large site that has a front end, admin and client area and have been using the modular extension library with controllers in the following format :

module
--controllers
----client.php
----module.php
----admin.php

Every works great however I want to set some global variables across all three areas e.g. company information, terms and conditions.

I have set up a company module and a pages module but I'm not sure the most efficient way in CI of passing the data.

Should I create a library or use a pre-controller hook ?

Any advice or examples of similar experiences would be appreciated.

Cheers

[eluser]heavener[/eluser]
For passing global data across the whole site, you could use a custom global language file?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Opel" date="1236293115"]
Every works great however I want to set some global variables across all three areas e.g. company information, terms and conditions.

I have set up a company module and a pages module but I'm not sure the most efficient way in CI of passing the data.[/quote]

The data you are referring to appear to be links to relatively static pages - so it's just the link that needs to appear in places, right? I'm guessing you already have footer() style function for example - seems the obvious place to put T&C's and AboutUs style info links.

[eluser]opel[/eluser]
thanks for you answers.

My pages system is slightly more dynamic so that a user can set a page to relate to a module and method.

At the moment I have function running at the top of my template that explodes the URL and then makes the necessary lookup. I wasn't sure if it was better to use hooks to run the function or if there is a parent class in CI that runs prior to other controllers?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="Opel" date="1236615539"]
At the moment I have function running at the top of my template that explodes the URL and then makes the necessary lookup. I wasn't sure if it was better to use hooks to run the function or if there is a parent class in CI that runs prior to other controllers?[/quote]

You mean like this:
[url="http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/107767/"]http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/107767/[/url]

But you probably don't want to call views from within the parent controller class. I'm generating menu data there, f.e, but still calling from within my default view-php files.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB