Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Including functions

[eluser]jwag[/eluser]
Hello,

I have a few functions that I need to use in a bunch of classes. They need to be part of the class because, for example, one of them is a check_session() that makes sure the user is logged in and has access to what they're trying to get to, and uses $this->session->userdata().

So right now, just for development purposes, I have

- Controller class
-- Admin class extends Controller
-- Survey class extends Controller
-- Exam class extends Controller
... etc.

Would the best way to get these functions accessable to all the other classes have a class between the Controller class and the others in the hierarchy?

e.g.

- Controller class
-- MyClass class extends Controller
--- Admin class extends MyClass
--- Survey class extends MyClass
--- Exam class extends MyClass
... etc.

?

And also, how would I load, for example, the MyClass class? Stick a require_once(myclass.php) at the top of all of the other (Admin, Survey, Exam, etc.) classes?

I did see in the User Guide the directions for creating your own libraries. However, while I am fairly experienced with PHP, I'm not so much with the OOP/classes in PHP, and I'm not sure if those classes loaded from my libraries would be able to access everything else (e.g. $this->session->userdata()).

Thanks for any help/advice you can provide.

[eluser]Armchair Samurai[/eluser]
Create a library called MY_Controller (as per the user guide - Extending Native Libraries) and extend MyClass from there. After than, you can extend your controllers from MyClass.
Code:
/* From MY_Controller.php */
class MyClass extends Controller {

function MyClass()
    {
        parent::Controller();

/* Etc, etc, etc */
    }

}

/* From admin.php */
class Admin extends MyClass {
    /* Etc, etc, etc */
}

[eluser]ApranaxFortress[/eluser]
@Armchair Samurai
If i will do this structural can i call other controllers functions ? (like wick http://codeigniter.com/wiki/Wick/)

Lets say i have a two controllers Blogs and Comments
Can i call like this in my Blog controller: $this->comments->list_comments($id)

[eluser]jwag[/eluser]
Ok, now how do I get the new one I created to load.

I named mine Basecontroller.

(NOTE: I set the prefix from MY_ to LIB_ on system/application/config/config.php)

In system/application/libraries/LIB_Basecontroller, I have my class, which starts with...

Code:
class Basecontroller extends Controller {
}

Then, in system/application/controllers/admin/admin.php, I put...
Code:
class Admin extends BaseController {
}

I edited system/application/config/autoload.php and tried to add the library as both LIB_Basecontroller, Basecontroller, LIB_basecontroller, basecontroller, etc., and all give me the error message:

Fatal error: Class 'Basecontroller' not found in /home/leaf/webdocs/system/application/controllers/admin/admin.php on line 3

What exactly do I need to put, and where, to load the Basecontroller?

Thanks again for any help/direction.

[eluser]jwag[/eluser]
Actually, I figured it out.

I was actually breaking it by putting it in the system/application/config/autoload.php file. Removing it actually fixed it (although I'm confused as to why it did -- that didn't seem to by what the PHP error in my previous post was saying).

Oh well, it's working. :o)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB