Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Scaffolding deprecated? Then?

[eluser]generalsalt[/eluser]
I read in the manual that scaffolding is deprecated. Is there an alternative way to add data/pictures etc..to your database while in development?

My apologies if this question is dumb..I am kind of new to all this.

BTW.
I am using CocoaMySQL to connect to my database with SSH.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I tend to make my test data in text files - I have a bunch of CREATE_<tablename>.mysql files, and a main CREATE.mysql that sources each of those.

I have a comparable bunch of INSERT_<tablename>mysql and a wrapper, INSERT.mysql, that in turn sources each of those.

I prefer this to scaffolding for a number of reasons. It's faster to create my test data, I can cookie-cutter my files, I can do FK's more easily, I can re-create my database and my test data with just two commands, and errors are immediately visible and easier to resolve.

You mention SSH - so you presumably have command line access to your database, and it's not on your local computer - is that right?

Ok, I am going to have to get learning these SQL codes!

I am using CocoaMySQL just as a client to interface with MySQL, I've never done any CLI with SQL before.

To be honest, I am so used to XML driven sites (from a Flash background) I thought there might be an easy way to do this.

Maybe it'll help if I explain what I'm trying to do. I just want to have some dummy text and a few placeholder images so that I can start scripting the images with Jquery (there going to be slightly animated).

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
If you want images stored within your DB, then .. heck, no idea. Never done it, basically. I'd probably write some PHP to do this for me, or read the MySQL manual.

If you know XML, Flash, JavaScript and PHP .. then learning how to drive MySQL will take you about a half hour. Maybe 45 minutes.

Other people may have some better suggestions, though, for rinky dinky GUI DB front-ends. Not really my thing, sorry.

[eluser]phused[/eluser]
You might want to take a look at PhpMyAdmin, it will do what you require and a lot more!

Also, if you use PhpMyAdmin there will be no need of using CocoaMySQL.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB