Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Best IDE for CI

[eluser]hooflung64[/eluser]
[quote author="Otaku Coder" date="1237318084"]I'm currently using Aptana Studio - www.aptana.com

It's based on Eclipse so all the plugins etc for eclipse will work too. The cool thing about Aptana is its integrated support for Aptana cloud. That means you can setup a dev/staging/live area on their cloud and sync your code to live when you're happy with testing. Makes a really good workflow as you're using 1 tool for everything.

I also use Netbeans on occasion.[/quote]

I used to use RadRails before Aptana got it then for a few months after. I always thought it was too slow even though it was a well laid out product.

Java is Java though so I nixed it. It also is finicky about storing profiles over a network on windows, but that was an eclipse problem more than aptana's fault.

[eluser]gillbates[/eluser]
I don't know of any IDE that can do that... All I can think of is to do a global search for "some_model->getSomething" after making changes to it.

There are a lot of IDE's that can do that. I know Zend IDE has that feature.

[eluser]Daniel Moore[/eluser]
Like gillbates said, something like that will take a global search for "some_model->getSomething" after making changes. You are likely to need more changes to the code than just the line that calls it, since you plan on returning a parameter to be worked with.

As with all IDE's, somewhere, sometime, the programmer is going to have to do some coding work. An editor with a good quality global RegEx search and replace might come in handy for such a situation as well. Even a good macro or script if your editor supports it that utilizes the search and replace features could automate going through all your files that may have been effected by such a change. The editor I use has no trouble with global search and replace throughout directories/sub-directories and multiple files, and, with the added power of scripting and/or macros, I can manipulate them in just about any way you can imagine.

Sometimes, though, it's just easier to make a few changes by hand after a global search when you make such framework-related changes, if it is a small project.

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
XeRGi0,
I use the Uniform Server WAMP ( http://www.uniformserver.com ) under Win XP and DO NOT USE an IDE. I haven't found any IDE which gains me enough to make the effort of usage worthwhile ie. constantly comparing IDE output to what I would do if I hand-coded from scratch.

While arguably there are some advantages to using an IDE, I think these are more applicable in a group programming environment; similarity of coding methods, sharing of common styles and perhaps speed, and not so applicable to MY business model (single developer house).

My personal experience over the years is that learning to hand-code FIRST (before using an IDE), makes for better OVERALL output. If speed is the most important (or only) criteria, the customer will be the one who suffers first, but you-the-developer pay the final price in lower business returns...

Of course, if you develop IDE's for a living, your opinion may differ from mine. What a shock that is! :bug: Season to taste and remember your customer pays the bills.

[eluser]Iván Argulo[/eluser]
Quote:and then I add another param to that method

Well, if you add another parameter and other controllers work well without it, but you need it in some special cases, you could do it with optional parameters:

Code:
function foo($id, $param = null)
{

}

Another solution is trying to plan how many parameters are you going to need before you start coding...

[eluser]simshaun[/eluser]
[quote author="TWP Marketing" date="1237338712"]XeRGi0,
I use the Uniform Server WAMP ( http://www.uniformserver.com ) under Win XP and DO NOT USE an IDE. I haven't found any IDE which gains me enough to make the effort of usage worthwhile ie. constantly comparing IDE output to what I would do if I hand-coded from scratch.

While arguably there are some advantages to using an IDE, I think these are more applicable in a group programming environment; similarity of coding methods, sharing of common styles and perhaps speed, and not so applicable to MY business model (single developer house).

My personal experience over the years is that learning to hand-code FIRST (before using an IDE), makes for better OVERALL output. If speed is the most important (or only) criteria, the customer will be the one who suffers first, but you-the-developer pay the final price in lower business returns...

Of course, if you develop IDE's for a living, your opinion may differ from mine. What a shock that is! :bug: Season to taste and remember your customer pays the bills.[/quote]

I think you have the wrong perception of what an IDE is. It sounds like you are mistaking an IDE for a WYSIWYG editor or possibly a Wizard of some sort.

An IDE is hand-coding. IDE's aid you in so many ways that it becomes highly inefficient to not use one. Integrated Code-completion, SVN, Debugging, FTP, Syntax Highlighting, Snippets, and smart-indention features are essential and are major contributing factors to how efficient a programmer is.

I would not want to hire a programmer who did not use an IDE if I was to pay by the hour, that's for sure.

Back on Topic
I've used NuSphere PHPEd for years and love it. Code-completion can even be utilized in your controllers and all through very basic phpDoc comments. (IE, you type $this->some_model-> and it gives you the functions of some_model) Granted I have spent a little time configuring the program to suit my preferences, its nearly perfect in every way for me. I've spent quite a bit of time in Zend and phpDesigner, as well as the "enhanced" notepads such as PSPad, EditPlus, and Notepad++. None of them have suited me the way PHPEd does. (EditPlus is still good, just not what I'd prefer for PHP development, when I know what PHPEd can do.)

[eluser]The Wizard[/eluser]
I've used almost everything till i found what i was really looking for.
TEXTMATE !!!!!!!!!!

Throw your pc out of the window AND get a MAC!

I was a big fan of NetBeans but especially when using CI you almost NEVER need to really 'debug' so
a 'editor' is 'better' then an IDE.

[eluser]Otaku Coder[/eluser]
If you want just an editor rather than a full-blown IDE, try Notepad++ . It also has some very useful plugins.

[eluser]Otaku Coder[/eluser]
[quote author="hooflung64" date="1237325179"]

I used to use RadRails before Aptana got it then for a few months after. I always thought it was too slow even though it was a well laid out product.

Java is Java though so I nixed it. It also is finicky about storing profiles over a network on windows, but that was an eclipse problem more than aptana's fault.[/quote]

Yeah it can be slow, but I don't notice it thanks to my Quad core 4GB RAM gaming/dev rig Smile

[eluser]TWP Marketing[/eluser]
simshaun;
Quote:"...I think you have the wrong perception of what an IDE is. It sounds like you are mistaking an IDE for a WYSIWYG editor or possibly a Wizard of some sort.

An IDE is hand-coding. IDE’s aid you in so many ways that it becomes highly inefficient to not use one. Integrated Code-completion, SVN, Debugging, FTP, Syntax Highlighting, Snippets, and smart-indention features are essential and are major contributing factors to how efficient a programmer is.

RE: "Integrated Code-completion, SVN, Debugging, FTP, Syntax Highlighting, Snippets, and smart-indention features..."

You are correct, in that I do not consider those to be IDE's. However, that is not a "wrong perception" :long: . And no, I don't code on a manual typewriter, even if I could find one with built-in modem... :lol:

What you list are tools-of-the-trade, utilities, programming applications ( read: 'good things' ), like CI itself, for instance.

What I'm dis-recommending, are Integrated Development Environments, that is, attempts to be the total_programming_environment, a do-all and be-all approach.

Pick and choose tools that work together or apart, but which get the job done.

Craftsmen, such as you and I, need more than a "Multi-head, Aerodynamically sculpted, Gold-plated Hammer/IDE" (Trademarked, Patent pending, waiting for goverment funding.) to build products.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB