Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problem with setup

[eluser]MaartenW[/eluser]
Hi Jedd, thanks for your response.
I'm sorry to be jumping to conclusions too fast! Eager to start :-)

The User Guide seems a little confusing for a noob. I will explain what led to my confusion:

Point 2 says the index.php file will be at the root -> this leads me to believe we're talking about the root here.
Point 3 says to open application/config/config.php -> but it's not there! I'm confused now and, skip the 'base_url' part and start skimming through the rest of the text:

Afer the 4 points it talks about security and the system folder and changing the variable within index.php.
Smartypants as I am, i go check the index file and see this 'application_folder' variable.
By now I did check the folder structure more thoroughly and see that the $application_folder variable points at the 'wrong' address.
I change the variable and voila, everything works...

Just wanted to let you know how I got to this point.
If I may make a suggestion: please change the installation instructions so it reads system/application/config...
Maybe somewhere along the way it was decided to put the application folder in the system folder, maybe the person who wrote the (excellent!) user guide is more fluent in installing CI than he/she realizes but it is a little confusing now.

After knowing where the application folder was, I should've read the instructions again! Everything works like a charm. No error messages whatsoever. Can't wait to really get working with it now.

Thanks again for your quick response!

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi MaartenW,

You could file a bug about the instructions if you think they are confusing. I am but a humble cog in the .. etc etc

I will observe this, however, regarding the CI user guide. They maintain a brevity of wordage that I find enviable and unsettling. Very important, key, fundamental, non-tautological points are made almost in passing, without fanfare, repetition, deviation or hesitation. It is remarkably easy - I have done this a lot - to read through a page, skimming mostly, and completely missing the thing you are looking for simply because it's describe so succinctly, almost en passant.

For instance, wrt your 'the root' observation - they actually say 'your root', and to most people that is understood to be their web server's (doc)root. This makes sense since you're installing a web package, and they are describing where in your web server you would unpack the package to.

The direction to edit application/config/config.php does, you are right, not make it precisely clear that this is within the sub-directory of system - however after you unpack the CI code you are presented with two files and one sub-directory. No matter if you're in a GUI or a command line at this point, you're going to look into that sub-directory pretty quickly .. to find the pot of config.php at the end of the application directory rainbow.

I think more generally, and this applies to all software, if you get stuck at a certain point of an installation you really shouldn't just ignore it, or do something that rhymes with the words of that point, and keep going on in the hope that the system won't notice or care ... 'cos it probably will.

[eluser]MaartenW[/eluser]
Ok, ok, so I'm an overenthousiast. Story of my life :-)
Thanks for calming me down!

Cheers,
Maarten

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB