Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problem with setup

[eluser]nicromonicon[/eluser]
hello guys
im a newbie at CI, i installed Appserv on my machine, now, problem is, where to place CI files?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi nicromonicon, and welcome to the CI forums.

Now, I'm not sure what Appserv is, so I can't work out what operating system you're using.

But, generic advice - CI files will live in a sub-directory (of your choosing) under your web server's folders. For Debian GNU/Linux this means somewhere under /var/www/... and for MS-IIS I think it means something like C:\wwwroot\ .. but it depends on where you have installed your web server. There's nothing 'special' about where the CI files have to go, though, if that is your concern?

Thanks jedd for your reply Smile

AppServ is a webserver, and i did copy the CI folder to C:\AppServ\www

now, when i run the index.php (that came originally with AppServ) everything works fine

but when i try to run welcome.php (in CodeIgniter_1.7.1\system\application\controllers)
it gives me this error:

"Fatal error: Class 'Controller' not found in C:\Downloads\CodeIgniter_1.7.1\system\application\controllers\welcome.php"

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I'd probably suggest you rename your default CodeIgniter_1.7.1 directory to something else - test, foo, project, etc.

Did you go through the [url="http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/installation/index.html"]Installation Instructions[/url] ?

It sounds like you might have missed configuring the config.php file with the $config['base_url'] bit.

i did go through the instructions, but replaced "www.example.com" with my computer name
is this correct? if not, what should i write in $config['base_url']?

thanks for your help =)

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Okay, for troubleshooting it's best if you cut-n-paste your actual code - and put it inside the code-tags so that it really stands out - that way it's easier for us to tell what's wrong and give you some hints. So, let's start with that section of the config.php file.

[eluser]MaartenW[/eluser]
[strike]To put in my 2 cents: the 'application' folder is missing from the 1.7.1 download package...[/strike]
see below

[eluser]MaartenW[/eluser]
Ah, no, the instructions are somewhat unclear here: they do not indicate that the 'application' folder is hidden in the 'system' folder by default.
And therefor one does not expect to need to change the '$application_folder' to include the 'system' path...
I think when you change the '$application_folder' variable in /index.php to read:

Code:
$application_folder = 'system/application';

all will be well. (just tried an it works)

Call to packager: Please alter this OOTB set up so it does work on initial setup :-), cheers!

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
MaartenW - this is not a bug. Honestly it's not. I think a few more people would have noticed if something this fundamental was missing.

And you really don't need to (and shouldn't) change the primary index.php file in this way.

So to be clear - you do not [/i]"need to change the '$application_folder' to include the 'system' path..."[/i]

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Maarten - so that this doesn't come back to bite you later, can you change that back to how it was, and then post the error you're getting, as well as the interesting bits of your config.php (system/application/config/config.php)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB