Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Problems with models calling other models

[eluser]swissbastian[/eluser]
Hi there

I've got some problems with models and I can't figure out what mistakes I made.

The browser tells me:
Quote:A PHP Error was encountered

Severity: Notice

Filename: models/dateim.php

Line Number: 308

Fatal error: Call to a member function verzeichnis_titel() on a non-object in /foo/bar/public_html/system/application/models/dateim.php on line 308

dateim and verzeichnism are models, verzeichnis_titel is a function from verzeichnism.

Line 308 of dateim.php:
Code:
$output = $this->verzeichnism->verzeichnis_titel($id);

verzeichnis_titel():
Code:
function verzeichnis_titel($id)
        {
            $query = $this->db->get_where('verzeichnisse', array('id' => $id));
            $zeile = $query->row();

return $titel = $zeile->titel;

}

Is it bad practice to call a model in another model?

Thanks for any help,
Bastian

[eluser]Clooner[/eluser]
[quote author="swissbastian" date="1239017715"]Is it bad practice to call a model in another model?[/quote]

I would suggest that you create an my_model by extending the model and put the function which you are calling in multiple models in that one. When creating a model extend it from my_model. This way you won't have duplicate code and your code won't be messy.

Hope this helps. There is an explanation on how to extend the models in the user guide.

[eluser]swissbastian[/eluser]
Okay, it's definitely a problem to call a function from another model.

But I didn't find any explanation on how to extend models in the user guide.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Code:
$ci =& get_instance();
$ci->load->model('other_model');
$ci->other_model->method();

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think most of these other model method calls can be prevented by creating a join query in the method. It seems like a a lot of people push the one model one table rule too far.

[eluser]Clooner[/eluser]
http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-gui...aries.html has some thing about extending libraries.

Basically what you want to do is create a model called my_model which is extended of model and put this in the libraries folder.

Extend the model which you are working on off my_model and put the function which you call in all the models in my_model.

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1239026323"]I think most of these other model method calls can be prevented by creating a join query in the method. It seems like a a lot of people push the one model one table rule too far.[/quote]

Agreed. But if someone feels they absolutely must, get an instance of the controller class with get_instance()

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
I think if they really want to do it they should do it in the controller instead of obscuring the loading of the model inside the other model.
Code:
// model
function method()
{
    $ci =& get_instance();
    $ci->load->model('other_model');
    $output = $ci->other_model->method();
    // more output
    return $output;
}
// controller
function method
$this->load->model(array('model_one','model_two'));
$data['view'] = $this->model_one->method($this->model_two->method());
If they see then how much code it needs they will look for other solutions like the joined query.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
I don't understand why CodeIgniter doesn't automatically load models into other models as it does with libraries. Is there any reason for this?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB