Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
validating a required file upload field

[eluser]stef25[/eluser]
is it possible to validate a file upload field using the same "required" parameter as for text fields and textareas? when i select a file for upload, i still get a message back saying this field is required, while it shouldn't. the validation on other fields in the same form work fine (required and valid email)

in what way does a file upload file differ from a text field? or do i need to use the file upload class for validation? i know php has error codes specifically for file upload fields that could be checked for using the file upload class.

or am i missing something?

thx,
stef

[eluser]pistolPete[/eluser]
[quote author="stef25" date="1239130812"]in what way does a file upload file differ from a text field?[/quote]

Text fields are saved in the $_POST array while file uploads use the $_FILES array.

Please have a look at

- http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/106717/
- http://ellislab.com/forums/viewreply/538506/

[eluser]stef25[/eluser]
hi pistolPete, that makes sense of course.

i setup my validation like this

Code:
if($this->form_validation->run('admin/index') == FALSE) {
    $this->load->view('admin_view', $attributes);
}

the i have in config/form_validation.php all the rules. for the image upload field i have

Code:
array(
     'field' => 'prod_img',
     'label' => 'product image',
     'rules' => 'callback__do_upload'
),

and a callback function:

Code:
function _do_upload($file) {
print $file; exit;
}

when the form is submitted i get a blank page, meaning the callback function gets called but the $file variable is empty. how can i pass the value from my validation file in the config folder back to my callback?

hope this makes sense ...

thanks

[eluser]stef25[/eluser]
sorry, scratch that ... im now getting "you didnt select a file for upload". this is coming from the CI Upload.php file. so the function gets called, but why would it still think i didnt select a file if i did?

[eluser]stuffradio[/eluser]
Make sure your file field is the correct value. There is a default value that you need to use unless you set your own. I think you have to set that field as
Code:
userfile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB