Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
My personal opinion and ideas

(This post was last modified: 10-28-2014, 12:53 PM by FlevasGR.)

Hello devs!
I want to share with you my personal thoughts about Codeigniter's new home and the whole thing.
First of all i like the fact that CI is now owned by BCIT, an institution which has 50K students. BUT as with every other acquisition the users are worried about the future.

CI is my first PHP framework, i don't have a big experience but i am fascinated by the simplicity of CI. Currently i'm learning from NetTuts+ premium webcast which i find good if you haven't touched CI before.

Below are my thoughts on the framework and the community in general

Forum == The heart of the community
The current forum compare with the previous is crappy.
It would be good to move it from MyBB to an other CMS like EE, IP.Board,
Xenforo or even a custom solution (or keed it and add a nice template)

Please dont touch the current docs
One of the many reasons i picked CI is because i read about the excellent documentation! Please keep it!

CI Certifications?
symfony has its own certifications. Now with BCIT it would be easier to create this functionality. Paid or free.

Teach it to the people. They will love it
As i mentioned earlier i learned the basics from NetTuts+ which has great quality BUT you have to pay Sad
BCIT knows how to teach people. Please make a screencast!!!!

Is Elli's decision to give CI good?
google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=codeigniter+is+dead
HELL YEAH! The second most popular framework was dying. They did a good thing Smile

Twig?
Twig is used by many frameworks like laravel, symfony and phpbb. If for licencing reasons you can't add it make compatible.

forum: the forum here is not phpbb, it is MyBB.

Docs: I totally agree here, i love the documentation content and current layout of the doc's in 2.2

Teaching: I can agree that a new set of tutorials need to be done. An updated Blog tutorial using the new CI3.0 plateform maybe, and maybe have it go a little bit more in-depth

Is Elli's decision to give CI good? Again i agree. They chose well by choosing BCIT

Twig: personally i think things like this should be left up to the developer using the framework.

Can you be more specific to why this forum is crappy and what benefits the other forums that you mention would bring.

Certifications is a great idea! Another to do for James to dig into. Smile

(10-28-2014, 11:46 AM)Hobbes Wrote: forum: the forum here is not phpbb, it is MyBB.

Oups! I didn't saw the link at the bottom and i thought it was PHPBB

(10-28-2014, 11:50 AM)peterdenk Wrote: Can you be more specific to why this forum is crappy and what benefits the other forums that you mention would bring.

Other forum cms have better management and better design. If you compare the old forum's functionality and layout with this which one would you choose?

Yes the documentation need to be as it was before when EllisLab was parent.

I would change the TRUE / FALSE / NULL from all uppercase to all lowercase being as that's how it's done in php 5.
What did you Try? What did you Get? What did you Expect?

Joined CodeIgniter Community 2009.  ( Skype: insitfx )

I too agree that documentation should be just at previous because since so long, we are used to read docs in that fashion only.

I want to jump in here about the documentation, specifically, before the dicsussion about it gets too far out of hand!

I agree that the CI2 documentation was great. Unfortunately, there is no going back to it - EllisLab converted the User Guide to be Sphinx-generated as part of the CodeIgniter 3 rewrite. There are a lot of good reasons for that, but that is a different discussion! The user guide build process is part of CodeIgniter 3 now.

If you built the documentation from the "develop" branch download, a couple of weeks ago, you would have observed that its navigation, style, and arguably convenience were much changed from the CodeIgniter 2 version. Part of that was EL's decision to use essentially the same style for all of their user guides: ExpressionEngine, MojoMatters, and CodeIgniter.

It is not appropriate for us to simply "use" their corporate style as is - that is *their* identity.
It is appropriate to come up with our own style, which reflects *our* identity, and which can hopefully have the ease of use of the CodeIgniter 2 User Guide.

The changes you see at the moment reflect a "reset" of the documentation style, to the Sphinx default. We are working on a re-styling. Each major change will result in a new downloadable User Guide on the website, which we hope you will constructively critique! Our aim is to complete this as part of the CodeIgniter 3 release Smile

Be patient, young padawans. Not everything from the past can be kept exactly, but we should be able to do ourselves proud, and have a User Guide that has the best features of the "old one", while being much easier to keep up-to-date with the evolving codebase!

I will post on the forum when we do have a major update of the User Guide for you to tear apart, and we sincerely hope you help make it better than the earlier version.
James Parry
Project Lead

Dang. I wish I could find a way to "Like" a post, other than giving reputation. I was getting ready to saying something similar, James, but you beat me to it and said it better than I'm sure I would have. Smile

I agree , except for the Twig. Nothing against it, but I also think that this choice should be left to the developer .
-----------------
Diego Walisson

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB