Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
some uncertanties.

[eluser]timaksu[/eluser]
these questions might be a little too general..but they're used on codeigniter applications and confuse me.. it doesnt hurt to ask right? Tongue

anyway, i read through this http://www.jimohalloran.com/2007/09/23/b...on-part-2/ (and i can tell it was using an older version of CI) but had a few things i didnt understand.

on that page, scroll down to his "FeedItemModel" class. we can see
Code:
private $_id = false;
    public $feed_id;
    public $remote_id;
    public $link;
    public $title;
    public $text;
    public $created_time;
    public $updated_time;

that isnt within a function. and then within functions, he uses $this->feed_id etc... are the two connected? is he simply defining them vars at the start to later use them in this manner: $this->var_name..? if so, whats the benifit?

lastly, and alot less codeigniter like, whats the difference between public and private? both in functions, and those vars that are defined.

[eluser]davidbehler[/eluser]
Try the PHP documentation, that should cover most of your questions regarding OOP!

http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.oop5.basic.php

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
The benefit of defining variables in the class is that you can access them within any function in that class

As for public vs private:
Public: Can be called anywhere within the class, and from any other class
Private: Can only be accessed within that class
Protected: Can only be used in that class any any class which extends it

Hope that clears things up a bit

[eluser]timaksu[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1240679390"]The benefit of defining variables in the class is that you can access them within any function in that class

As for public vs private:
Public: Can be called anywhere within the class, and from any other class
Private: Can only be accessed within that class
Protected: Can only be used in that class any any class which extends it

Hope that clears things up a bit[/quote]

and the value of it is kept between classes or is it reset to whatever it was declared as?

also, a part of my question wasnt answered, and i cant 'google' it because i dont know what i should google.

thats

Quote:and then within functions, he uses $this->feed_id etc… are the two connected? is he simply defining them vars at the start to later use them in this manner: $this->var_name..? if so, whats the benifit?

why does he do $this-> ? cant he just access the declared public/private var's by their names? if not, how does other classes access these vars? $classes_name->var_name ?

bah 8-/

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
If you declare a class variable and then a variable of the same name within a function, using the variable name will refer to the one in the function, but using $this->var will make it use the class variable

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB