Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Is there such a thing as an MVC forum?

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Hi everyone.

Does anyone know of a well-known forum that's built using the MVC pattern? I'm looking for inspiration and to my dismay I can't find one... Sad

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
This one Smile

That's about as useful as the answers I give to you... Tongue

I'm trying to find a forum that's only a forum (not a module), that's built upon the MVC pattern. Smile

[eluser]jdfwarrior[/eluser]
hahaha no not off the top of my head, would you like for me to help you look? ha.

What exactly are you looking for/trying to figure out?

My main point of interest is how the model(s) is/are laid out.

[eluser]garymardell[/eluser]
Vanilla2 will be once the code is released. I know its not helpful now, but the new one vanilla2 is coming out soonish i believe.

[eluser]Jonny Noog[/eluser]
Perhaps somewhere like MVCForge might be useful to you. If you're looking for actual forum software that is built using an MVC framework, I remember there was a forum called Beast (SVN repo) which was built using Rails. Looks like there's a rewrite of it on Github.

I'm pretty new to CI, I've begun using it for a recent project where PHP was more fitting than Rails, although I've been using mainly Rails lately.

One thing I have noticed is that in CI, people seem to use models more as a database abstraction layer only, calling static class methods from the model that are used in other places. Where as with Rails a model is more than that, it's a class that is usually instantiated before use and as well as being an extensive database abstraction layer, it encompasses data validation, relationships between it and other models, object life cycle callbacks and so on. Rails is very full featured but also more strict in its conventions, where as CI is perhaps less "opinionated" it seems. I like both CI's and Rail's approaches, I think they're just different and good for different kinds of projects.

I'm not quite sure where you've seen the use of static classes in CodeIgniter however, because by default, loading a model instantiates it in the global scope of the CodeIgniter Super Object. However, I do see what you mean. That class may as well be a static class.

I just checked out MVCForge, and I can't find anything useful. I even searched for the word "forum", and it came up with no results.

The rewrite of Beast is lacking. I don't understand the code, and it seems to be missing a heck of a lot of code. However, I might be able to learn a bit more from Beast once I can get access to the code.

Thank you both for your comments.

[eluser]Jonny Noog[/eluser]
Never had anything to do with Beast, so I can't really comment. I do remember reading when it first came around that it was meant to be a forum written in 500 lines of code (I assume not including the underlying Rails codebase), so if the rewrite is this small also, maybe that explains why it looks like it's missing code to you.

[quote author="TheFuzzy0ne" date="1241017479"]I'm not quite sure where you've seen the use of static classes in CodeIgniter however, because by default, loading a model instantiates it in the global scope of the CodeIgniter Super Object. However, I do see what you mean. That class may as well be a static class.[/quote]

Yeah, I realised that after I posted my last comment. I'm glad you got my point despite my incorrect explanation. You're right of course, I should have said something like "calling methods from the model as if they were class methods ...". The -> syntax is so alien to me that it throws off my thinking sometimes. Tongue The inner workings of CI are also an unknown to me at this point.

OK, I'm not getting any love here, so I'm going to lower my demands. Does anyone know of an OOP-based forum? Hehe.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB