Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SVN information required...!!!

[eluser]Zeeshan Rasool[/eluser]
Hi,
i need some basic information about SVN in detail. I have studied it but can any body give me some easy and at basic level information about SVN? How it works? Purpose? Alternatives?
I am thinking some one may give me some very important points about it so i can get it.

Thanks in advance.. Smile

[eluser]ggoforth[/eluser]
The general concept is that there is one repository where all your code lives. So if you have multiple development environments, such as a desktop and laptop, you can easily keep your files in sync. I also use SVN to distribute files to various working versions of my web site (like a production environment, development, live, etc...)

How it works:

In my case at least I develop everything locally. So all my files live on my local server while I'm developing. When I reach a point when I'm happy with my local version I "COMMIT" my files to the svn repository. Then I can jump on my server command line and move a copy of the repository to my developement version. I can then test on the server and make sure it works at it should. Then when I'm happy with the development environment I move a copy of the repository to the live version. This kind of control over which version I'm working on wouldn't be as easy as it is without SVN.

It can be a pain to set up, but once it is, it's a lifesaver.

Greg

so nice of you, one thing, did this work like uploading a file after developing thru FTP?

[eluser]ggoforth[/eluser]
Yes, the repository lives on a server. You basically create the repository then check out a version (of the empty repository in the beginning) to your local machine. Then as you add files and make changes you COMMIT those changes back to the repository. The commit process actually moves the files (or parts of the file that have changed) to the server and updates the current working version.

I use Tortise SVN on my windows machine and Putty to issue commands to update my sites via svn.

Greg

[eluser]Phil Sturgeon[/eluser]
If you wish to look into deploy sites with SVN, check out my blog post Deploying sites with SVN. :coolsmile:

Very thanks Phil Sturgeon and ggoforth ...
will you give me a favor to tell me how can i implement svn i mean, i already installed tortoise svn and now im unable to take next step. wat shud me do now.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB