Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
SQL v ORM, convince me

[eluser]hooflung64[/eluser]
Hello all,

I am developing some software and since I like to make things hard for myself in the very start I was thinking about moving to an ORM over the normal 'db model for crud then extra models that extend that base model with new methods with either AR or pure SQL.'

I have used ORM as far as Active Record for Ruby on Rails but never a PHP based ORM like Doctrine. While I liked RoR's ORM I find myself spending more time at the command line than I did writing code (not a bad thing mind). Enough about RoR and it's ORM because I like CI more.

I know some people in the #codeigniter room swear by Doctrine and if I do ORM that will be the one I choose. I will be using memcached and eAccelerator on the webserver(s) and I am looking into using MySQL Cluster 7 as the backend.

I know there is a big SQL v ORM debate between people and I don't want to start a flame war. This is a personal project but it is huge and will take years to get to where I want but a core will be done in 3-6 months. I won't ever be moving over to another database system so being RDBMS agnostic isn't an issue. I am perfectly at home writing SQL as well as I love SQL and don't mind getting dirty. I'll be using a lot of pure PHP $_SESSION data that will be populated from the database.

I didn't quite need all the flexibility that Ruby's ORM gave me, or the migration tools, at the time but this is going to be an ongoing project that is sure to have an evolving database schema. I don't expect the core tables to evolve too, too much but as new features are to be added new tables are sure to follow by the dozens.

So what do you guys and gals think? Enhance my CI with Doctrine or just go with that I know? Also, has anyone some real life experience with memcached and ORM v SQL? This will be my first project that will absolutely, without fail, require memcached.

If anyone wants to know what type of project I am making then I'll spill the beans a bit. It is a persistent browser based game.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB