Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
What search engine do you use?

[eluser]Chris Williams[/eluser]
I'm using Sphider to index and preform searches. It doesn't integrate with CI... like at all. And it doesn't look like it has any local mode invocation either.

So I'm asking for suggestions that works with CI either with a library, or one that makes local calls.

Has anyone found an engine that works for them?

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Google?

Unfortunately, Google controls how my site is indexed. And with the large number of pages on my site, I need something that offers a bit more granularity.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
I read a few weeks back that someone was working on a CI port of sphider... not heard any updates for a while, so not sure if s/he has given up lol

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
Zend Search Lucene is one of the best index'ers in my opinion. It easily links into CI as well with the Zend boot strapper.

[eluser]Burning desire to ignite some code lines[/eluser]
Chris, are you sure you can't use google? I mean from what I have seen here you could use with some google hacks and make it behave as you want it too. Should be pretty straight foward.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
<off-topic>
Welcome 'Burning desire to ignite some code lines', thats one heck of a long username
</off-topic>

[quote author="Burning desire to ignite some code lines" date="1241474291"]Chris, are you sure you can't use google? I mean from what I have seen here you could use with some google hacks and make it behave as you want it too. Should be pretty straight foward.[/quote]

Ya, I used google for a month, and my customers flipped out. I have a database of 100k+ pages of product and the customers couldn't find what they wanted. I switched to sphider where I built my own index and noticed sales increase as a result.

I've used google for other sites with great success (blogs forums etc). But for my shopping site, it doesn't cut it.

[eluser]drewbee[/eluser]
I'm telling you, Zend Search Lucene. You can even set searchable attributes on each of the items. IE category, colors, whatever attribute that relates to your product.

[eluser]Burning desire to ignite some code lines[/eluser]
<off-topic>
Thanks for the welcome. Well in my defense I thought that was like a title or a status. Tongue But now I see it and it sounds goodTongue
</off-topic>

ok Chris, I guess you're right. Hope what you are using right now delivers the same speed and accuracy that Google does.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB