Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
VISA/Credit Card payment in CodeIgniter

[eluser]asylmottaket[/eluser]
Anyone been through this topic.. *not* using all the established ecommerce solutions out there?

Because I may believe that would maybe be a bit overkill for my needs.

The payment is supposed to be for 1 service/product, for using the service in either 1, 2 or 3 months.

Paypal seems nice, but I'm not sure if that is a bit hard to manage for ex. people over 50 years.

I know that payment and VISA is risky business (or timetaking) to develop.. so.. what I'm looking for is actually some good advice.

Thanks

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Well it all comes down to having a payment gateway that can process your payments. There are many out their to choose from, and they all essentially do that same thing, although the prices vary. Some encourage you to process as many payments as you can, but giving your discounts when x number of payments have been made, and others are aimed more at people who don't make many transactions, so which gateway you use is entirely up to you. I'd suggest going with PayPal. The pricing is reasonable, and there is a library for CodeIgniter that allows you to utilise IPN. Whether you go with PayPal, or any other payment gateway, I think you will still need to do some accounting - but that can't be avoided, it's part of business.

[eluser]Myles Wakeham[/eluser]
Before you start handling credit card numbers in your software, you better first research PCI compliance or face a $50,000 first time violation punishment from VISA if you get hacked. The main reason people choose to use services like PayPal isn't that its easier to work with - its just that they don't want to deal with credit card numbers in their software, and all the PCI compliance regulations, audits, etc. that go with credit card transaction handling.

In this case, I believe that your challenges are less to do with technology and more to do with business conformity, audits, etc.

M

[eluser]ggoforth[/eluser]
[quote author="Myles Wakeham" date="1241547721"]Before you start handling credit card numbers in your software, you better first research PCI compliance or face a $50,000 first time violation punishment from VISA if you get hacked. The main reason people choose to use services like PayPal isn't that its easier to work with - its just that they don't want to deal with credit card numbers in their software, and all the PCI compliance regulations, audits, etc. that go with credit card transaction handling.

In this case, I believe that your challenges are less to do with technology and more to do with business conformity, audits, etc.

M[/quote]

Myles makes a good point here. I'm in the process of starting a new business and needed to accept credit cards. PCI compliance is a big deal. If you hand your credit card processing off to the right people you are going to be set. I use Authorize.net for my business as the integration with CodeIgniter and PHP was dead simple. Had it done in one night. Authorize.net is PCI compliant so it takes care of that headache.

Greg

Thanks for all the great tips!

So, with both PayPal and Authorize its possible to implement the solution on *my* site, so I dont have to redirect the user into paypal.com etc. ?

[quote author="asylmottaket" date="1241636902"]Thanks for all the great tips!

So, with both PayPal and Authorize its possible to implement the solution on *my* site, so I dont have to redirect the user into paypal.com etc. ?[/quote]

Yes, but I still am not sure if you are understanding the legal requirements you have to adhere to. This is EASY to do technically (assuming you have SSL installed on your server). Its DAMN hard to conform to the legal requirements.

Read this: http://www.shift4.com/CC_security.htm

$50,000 fine for the 1st time infringement!

Do you REALLY want to do that?

Myles

Hm, okey. But would that be a great risk when using merchants like PayPal, Authorize.net etc.?

[quote author="asylmottaket" date="1241637387"]Hm, okey. But would that be a great risk when using merchants like PayPal, Authorize.net etc.?[/quote]

It comes down to whether you touch and store the credit card number in your system or not. If you elect to redirect the user to PayPal, for example, and let them put their credit card number into their system, you remove your responsibility entirely from this.

But if you want to take their credit card number, then you just inherited all the responsibility for the 'care & feeding' of it. That's when PCI compliance kicks in.

Myles

Okey, than I get it. It probably would be for the best, except that the end user probably have to sign up some place else.

[eluser]skunkbad[/eluser]
[quote author="ggoforth" date="1241574841"]
Myles makes a good point here. I'm in the process of starting a new business and needed to accept credit cards. PCI compliance is a big deal. If you hand your credit card processing off to the right people you are going to be set. I use Authorize.net for my business as the integration with CodeIgniter and PHP was dead simple. Had it done in one night. Authorize.net is PCI compliant so it takes care of that headache.

Greg[/quote]

I'm searching through posts for Authorize.net, because I'm going to need to integrate with CodeIgniter. Can you post some code to make my life easier?

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB