Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Ellis needs to make a print version of user guide

[eluser]Gav[/eluser]
Hey, in poor bullspit's defence, and in Ellis' credit, the user guide is great for getting the basics of CI sorted in your head, as well as just being a reference piece while coding.

Perhaps turning the exact userguide into print is a bad idea for a book as it would outdate quickly (didn't I just have this discussion lol), but an indepth CI book, covering everything from getting started with CI, to complex examples in all the features at the time of writing, updated yearly or something, would sell. I bet my bottom dollar.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
This is the only published book on CI (that I'm aware of), but I've heard very mixed reviews for it
I was going to buy it when I first started with CI, thinking it was one of those that takes you through, building a complete application, learning everything along the way, but appparently not

[eluser]RJ[/eluser]
3 total, plus there is a decent ebook (there again printing to paper..*shrugs*)

@Gav at least one person understands the concept.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
The userguide is one of the best online documentations I've ever come across. I don't think a book would give you much more information than you'd get from the userguide. Then again I'm used to scrolling through manpages so I don't know if that's a fair comparison.

Anyway, the best you can do is read a good book about PHP5 OOP and then all you'll need is the guide to lookup certain methods or libraries. I use it more as a reference cheatsheet then as anything else...

[eluser]geocine[/eluser]
Could somebody please reupload the PDF. The download limit is 10 only. Thank you!

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Here you go

[eluser]squarebones[/eluser]
I'm glad my version of the PDF is getting so popular. I really did it for myself, because, unlike some detractors here, I did in fact, and have since, sat down and read the manual from cover to cover. Maybe I'm just not as sharp as some of you young-brains - the creeping calcification of my brain makes it hard for me to remember every single detail about every function available in CI, so I find myself either hitting the CHM file (if I'm on the computer) or my printed version if I'm sitting outside watching my kids muck about in the mud.

I would like to add that a printed version of the manual as it stands on today's market would not sell. It would need to be rewritten to be more complete, more detailed, with loads of examples and practical, real world projects. One CI book I looked at that is presently on the market was centered on the creation of one type of project, and that one was not one I consider useful or practical. Most people on these forums need a book that progresses from basic concepts to more complex with lots of stuff in the middle where the majority of us are located. It takes a creative thinker and writer to come up with a book that will really tell the tale of CI and help the majority of its readers.

Hey, I'd love to be that writer, but I have a full time job and a side job and kids and a wife and a dog, and whatever is left over I reserve for just relaxing (two minutes a day, tops).

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
haha, I like the search feature in the PDF Tongue

[eluser]squarebones[/eluser]
I found a .CHM version of the manual I like a lot. When I'm not hauling around my print version of the manual (it's sitting on my desk at home, at this moment) I have this electronic version that is really useful. As I use a Macintosh, .CHM files have always been inaccessible (frustratingly so), but I recently discovered a great utility called Chmox that allows me to read .CHM files. Now I am happy. Not blissfully so, but happy enough to be counted as such on the next census.

I found the .CHM at Boxnet and it is still available for download as of this posting (that probably will change, as did my print version not long after I posted it to the free filesharing site I found).

I want to host the PDF on my site again for download, but not yet... Maybe soon. If anyone wants my version of the manual, let me know and I'll e-mail it to you (it's only 6Mb).

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Just so you know, the chm is for Ci 1.7.0, although not that much has changed since then (see change log)

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB