Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Help with installing php+mysql remotely

[eluser]NachoF[/eluser]
I know this question is not directly related to CI but I recently noticed that my webhost server only has php 4.4 and mysql 3.23 installed and I need to deploy an app I developd with the newest version of CI and Datamapper (which requires php 5.0).... I have ftp access to the server so i figured I could just copy/past xampplite and it should work.. what do you guys think??... Im not sure if the host is linux or windows or what... heres the file structure Im able to access.

[eluser]NachoF[/eluser]
double post, my bad

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
First of all, its a UNIX host
Second of all, I wouldn't advise deploying XAMPP(lite) onto a production server
XAMPP is intentionally left wide open for dev purposes

Can you not just ask your host to upgrade PHP and MySQL for you?

[eluser]NachoF[/eluser]
I guess I could try calling them.... but isnt there a way I could just upload some files (and delete some others of course) and get php 5 installed?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
I'd be very suprised if it was just a case of replacing some files, you'd have to do some command line wizardry

[eluser]cahva[/eluser]
I'm sure your webhost(if its a decent one) has PHP 5+Mysql 5 server. They just didnt want to upgrade from PHP4 -> PHP5 on THAT server.
I work in a hosting company and we didnt upgrade existing PHP 4 sites straight to PHP 5 because we knew that there would have been many calls about broken sites Smile

We have slowly transfered sites from the PHP4 servers to new ones and always have customer test first that the site works with PHP5 with temporary address before doing the final move.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB