Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
License Questions

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hello, first of all, Awesome work! CodeIgniter is awesome! I have just started using it in my personal projects and it is an amazing time saver!

I work at a small web development/search engine optimization company. If we started using CodeIgniter (not sure if we will, all the developers want to, we just have to convince "the man"), what kind of restrictions would there be? I don't see anything in the agreement that says we can't sell things that use the framework, however I had a question regarding acknowledgment:

Quote:Products derived from the Software must include an acknowledgment that they are derived from CodeIgniter in their documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

I will give two scenarios:

First, imagine we use CodeIgniter to create a website for a client. We create the controllers, views, pages, database and upload the whole thing to their server.

Second, imagine we statically render the pages. Basically, imagine we create the controllers, views, pages, and databases on a local staging server, then run a crawl of the staging server, and take the static html and upload that to the clients server.

Obviously we would acknowledge that its derived from CodeIgniter in the source code, so for the first option the client could see that if they looked at the source code, but are we required to put an icon or text on all the pages that says "Built using CodeIgniter"? I have no problems with this, but the boss doesn't like "putting someone else's logo on our work."

Also, the second example is tricky because we aren't actually delivering CodeIgniter to the client, but we would be using it locally to create/render the pages.

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
I don't see where the license requires you to display the acknowledgement on a web page or even in your own source code. You just need a file in the same directory (materials provided with the distribution) as your script that states it uses CI. If your script is on server A and you use the script to create html files that you then copy to server B, you don't need any acknowledgement to go with those html files that get created and copied.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB