Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Comparision to new released Zend Framework?

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hi friends,

just read that Zend has today released Version 1.0 of their Zend Framework. Does anybody already taken a deeper look into it?

It seems to be pretty comprehensive and well documented and is also using a MVC-Pattern.

Could anybody provide us - the CI Community - with Pros and Cons, a comparison respectively, between CI and ZF?

Although I would never never betray CI...

best regards,

[eluser]Glen Swinfield[/eluser]
They're not really the same thing. The zend framework is a very heavy duty - comprehensive framework - claiming to be the most comprehensive class library for PHP 5 development (and that's 5.2.x) with a very recent mysql installation.

The fact that CI is not so monolithic - and php4/5 compatible is what makes it appealing. For me, they don't really tread the same ground. I have, and will use ZF for php5 development for big projects where I can be 100% on the server setup before I start.

But the CMS I have built - that forms a light basis for most smaller projects I work on, is CI because it will work across a wider variety of server setups.

Download ZF and start working with it (if your localhost setup is up to scratch) and it won't take long to see the difference.

[eluser]Iksander[/eluser]
Zend Framework is not nearly as noob friendly as CI is. You certainly need a good grip on PHP5 concepts and a good skill set. It is a rather big download too, in comparison to CI.

[eluser]esra[/eluser]
gms summarizes most of my personal views about CI, but as a further comment, the CI framework is a good foundation for someone who wants to build an extended framework for their own use or company use. With CI, it's fairly easy to integrate other libraries, including some Zend Framework libraries, in order to create a development environment better suited for a particular project's needs. I find it very easy to adapt to varying needs as different projects come in out of no where.

Above this, there is know comparison between the CI documentation and the Zend documentation. A lot of attention was paid in making the CI documentation present the framework in an easy-to-learn, intuitive fashion with good examples and good cross referencing between parts of the user guide.

[eluser]sleddog[/eluser]
So it seems like the best of both worlds would be to consume the best Zend components inside the CodeIgniter system.... So what do you guys think the best components are from Zend that CI doesn't have a solution for? I personally like CI because of the extreme lightweight aspect and the great documentation....

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
[quote author="sleddog" date="1183499709"]So what do you guys think the best components are from Zend that CI doesn't have a solution for?[/quote]
Zend ACL.

[eluser]marcoss[/eluser]
[quote author="Rick Jolly" date="1183510867"][quote author="sleddog" date="1183499709"]So what do you guys think the best components are from Zend that CI doesn't have a solution for?[/quote]
Zend ACL.[/quote]

The ACL is pretty good, i'd like to see something like this implemented in CI.

I'll see if i can make it a library.

[eluser]Rick Jolly[/eluser]
[quote author="marcoss" date="1183638034"]
The ACL is pretty good, i'd like to see something like this implemented in CI.

I'll see if i can make it a library.[/quote]

I think CI Mirage has integrated the zend auth and acl libaries and made them php 4 compatible.

[eluser]marcoss[/eluser]
[quote author="Rick Jolly" date="1183671806"]I think CI Mirage has integrated the zend auth and acl libaries and made them php 4 compatible.[/quote]

Is there any code available?

[eluser]a&w[/eluser]
Did you get any further with this? I was just beginning to look into what would be involved in using zend_ACL with CI.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB