Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Which Files to upload?

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Hello everyone,

I am new to CI but very serious about learning it.
I'm familiar with basic level PHP and bought a book to learn it further.

I am trying to duplicate the BLOG site sample in the CodeIgniter site.

MY QUESTION is this:

Once you create php pages ..... WHICH files do you upload to the server?

the entire "system" directory (with the index.php edited)?

OR ......... ??

Thanks

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
The only part you don't need to upload is the user_guide folder (although there's no harm if you do)
Also, most people move the application folder out of system, and move system out of the web root. It also means you can link multiple applications to the same core (seeing as you don't touch the core) and it makes upgrades a lot easier

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Hi, thanks for your quick reply:

You said: "most people move the application folder out of system, and move system out of the web root

#1 - if I move the "application" out of the "system" ... will I need to modify a config file, or another file?

# - to move the "system" out of the web root -- do you mean to upload in a subdirectory of the server's root ?

Thanks

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
1. You will need to change the system_folder and application folder variables at the start of index.php, all the rest of the paths are based on these so thats all there is to it Smile
2. Yeah, I also like to call mine Codeigniter_1.7.1 (or the correct version number, this way I can upload the new version and easily check it works, and revert back if not

Smile

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Hi again,

So.... the pages I create are basically stored in the "applications" folder -- right?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Yeah
I'd go watch the video tutorials, they'll get you off in the right direction... And once you've done those, there's more tutorials on the wiki

[eluser]Vicente Russo[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1243130958"]I also like to call mine Codeigniter_1.7.1 (or the correct version number, this way I can upload the new version and easily check it works, and revert back if not[/quote]

Hm.. that`s cool. I`ll try to do the same Smile

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
in which directory are the pages I create in CI stored in?
because if a newer version of CI is made, i can easily transfer the pages I made to the newer version of CI

in other words .....

is there an easy way to transfer the pages I CREATED using CI to a newer version of CI in the future?

am I asking another numb question?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
This is the reason I like to split up the directories as I mentioned earlier... all your stuff goes in the application folder, and a new version of CI upgrades everything else in the system directory, so you can just extract those folders into a new directory (eg CodeIgniter_1.7.2) and change the pointer in index.php

make sense?

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Here's the basic rundown:

System folder: One per CI version. Can be located anywhere in filesystem.
Application folder: One per application. Can be located anywhere in filesystem.
Front controller (index.php): One per application. Must be web-accessible.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB