Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Kohana - is it worth it?

[eluser]jshaw[/eluser]
I looked at CI and Kohana a little bit ago and went with Kohana for the following reasons:
1) Responsiveness from the development team
2) Forward Looking(php5,HMVC), rather than backward(php4)

It's a myth that Kohana documentation is lacking, I've never had a problem finding what I need.

Code Igniter serves it purpose and does a good job, so it is not a bad choice either.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
[quote author="jshaw" date="1245646337"]
It's a myth that Kohana documentation is lacking, I've never had a problem finding what I need.[/quote]

Statements like the documentation is lacking are only valid in the time period they're made. When Kohana first came about, I had a look at it, but at the time, the documentation was really poor, but I would assume it's improved a lot since then.

[eluser]Thorpe Obazee[/eluser]
[quote author="Dam1an" date="1245674983"]

Statements like the documentation is lacking are only valid in the time period they're made. When Kohana first came about, I had a look at it, but at the time, the documentation was really poor, but I would assume it's improved a lot since then.[/quote]

I agree. The Kohana docs are actually much much much better right now (comparable to CI) because of the active members updating the docs.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="jshaw" date="1245646337"]I looked at CI and Kohana a little bit ago and went with Kohana for the following reasons:
1) Responsiveness from the development team
[/quote]
Code Igniter is backed by a company with actual money and resources who have their own core business (EE) running on top of it, so they have an economical and commercial interest in keeping their code secure, clean and up to date. Kohana has an open source community which may or may not fix bugs depending on their time, knowledge or level of participation. (not to criticize the Kohana community, but this is just the way open source projects work, so this isn't limited to Kohana, but true for all open source projects not backed by a company).

I'm all for open source community driven design, but having a company backing it, is invaluable. For example, Ubuntu would have never caught on as it does now if there wasn't a company behind it. The same can be said for MySQL and a lot of other open source projects. (even the Linux kernel gets a lot of patches supplied by Intel, Sun, Red Hat and several other companies).

So in the end it's just a question of which framework you think will outlast the other. In my opinion, if Ellislab one day does go belly up, the code base will probably be maintained by the community, in which case you'd have exactly the same situation as Kohana has now. So basically CI has a big plus at the moment, which is reason enough for me to stick to CI (apart from the fact it's one of the fastest framework I've ever worked with).

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Please try to explain why Yii framework is better than CodeIgniter or Kohana.

It is not commercially based but it has far superior design principles than either of the other frameworks.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
[quote author="wiredesignz" date="1245683435"]Please try to explain why Yii framework is better than CodeIgniter or Kohana.

It is not commercially based but it has far superior design principles than either of the other
frameworks.[/quote]
Where did I mention anything about YII? This was between CI and Kohana, and given the 2 options, my preference was CI. Besides 'better' is a very subjective term: why don't you tell me why YII has 'far superior design principles'.

Yii is a high-performance component-based PHP framework best for developing large scale Web applications. Yii comes with a full stack of features, including MVC, DAO/ActiveRecord, I18N/L10N, caching, jQuery-based AJAX support, authentication and role-based access control, scaffolding, input validation, widgets, events, theming, Web services, and so on. Written in strict OOP, Yii is easy to use and is extremely flexible and extensible.

How does that sound?

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Like some marketeer had the time of his life.

My point really is that Kohana will never be more than a boutique framework and does not deserve more than a passing look.

CodeIgniter and Yii are both far more mature and can be used in production environments with confidence.

[eluser]Nick Husher[/eluser]
[quote author="adwin" date="1244040259"](i haven't install doctrine successfully Sad )[/quote]

Have you tried my Doctrine plugin? Apparently people have been using it since I got busy and disappeared from CI development a few months ago.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB