Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
When did you get into Codeigniter?

Just a conversation starter, to reflect on how you got into Codeigniter, What sort of projects you have worked in.

Let me start;

I used to customize Wordpress and PHP Scripts before, and used to work on pure PHP. Then slowly I understood the need for a framework, something that can give me the basics to get started fast. I tried a bunch of frameworks at the time, CI was the easiest to get started and started adopting it to my workflow.

I got involved when CI was in its late 1.x releases and that transition to 2.x
The ones who are new to CI now are probably going through the same, wondering if you should use the 2.x stable or 3.x dev

Well If you are just getting started go with 3.x you can always swap that System folder once its stable. Get used to the MVC and that pattern of thinking.

I'll bite. Smile

Like you, I was working on a lot of Wordpress and ModX sites, along with some straight PHP. I've always enjoyed the creation process, not just using someone else's creation, though, so I started working on bigger sites as I got the chance. I got into CI around 2006, IIRC and have loved it ever since. I've used Slim and Laravel, looked at things like Yii and Symfony, but always come back to CodeIgniter. It's light-weight, declarative (less magic) and better performing than most of the others, while still providing all of the tools I need on a daily basis.

With it I've created several fairly large sites, many of which, unfortunately, faded away as their owners weren't able to make them successful for one reason or another but they include sites like:

1) A portal for bass fishermen, with forums, profiles, classified ads, daily updates of lake information, etc.
2) A regional sales site for autos from many dealers. Admin area, dealer area and public area. Pulled in feeds from 40+ dealers, standardized the autos in the database, provided a way for customers to interact with dealers through "anonymized" email, calced the search results from a proprietary formula based on dealer usage of the system, in part, allowed search to factor in customer's down payment, credit rating, etc as they searched for autos by payment, though they could filter the search. Used both MySQL and MongoDB.
3) A loan-related database for someone who bought and sold people's information that, at last count had 20 million emails in the TPS (don't call) database and around 2 million people in the database. Input and export CSV files. Normalizes all data on the way in. Very customizable query system to allow owners to filter the data almost any way possible, including not re-selling data to the same person if they already bought that information 'x' days/weeks/months ago.

Hi everyone...

I've actually programmed as a hobby for a long, long time, since back in the days of the TRS-80, when computers were slow and you couldn't do much.

For a long time, I resisted getting into web development beyond basic HTML because I didn't like the stateless nature of the web. But then I started playing an online game, and I developed a battle calculator in PHP to give my team mates an advantage over our opponents. I also set up a few sites with WordPress and customized the themes using not just CSS but also PHP.

After that, I looked for a framework that implemented MVC as lightly as possible. I briefly looked at Symfony, Cake PHP, and Codeigniter, and I went with Codeigniter. I like Codeigniter because it provides a structure that's easy to work within.

But Codeigniter or no, no matter how you use PHP, I seriously recommend you get some way of using XDebug to debug your code. XDebug is (as far as I know) the only debugger for PHP. Some code editors include it or include plugins that support it -- Codelobster and NetBeans include it, and Notepad++ has a plugin for it. No amount of var_dumps can replace the convenience of stepping through your code step by step, watching variables change as you go along.

I started learning CodeIgniter about a week ago. I'm trying to build an online marketplace where users can sell products as easily as possible.

I started a month or two ago using just PHP, but I realized the need for a framework to speed up the development.

I decided to use CodeIgniter because a lot of people's claims that it is one of the easiest frameworks to set up and learn.

I find it difficult enough, but I'm optimistic.

(11-12-2014, 07:52 PM)RobertSF Wrote: Hi everyone...

I've actually programmed as a hobby for a long, long time, since back in the days of the TRS-80, when computers were slow and you couldn't do much.

For a long time, I resisted getting into web development beyond basic HTML because I didn't like the stateless nature of the web. But then I started playing an online game, and I developed a battle calculator in PHP to give my team mates an advantage over our opponents. I also set up a few sites with WordPress and customized the themes using not just CSS but also PHP.

After that, I looked for a framework that implemented MVC as lightly as possible. I briefly looked at Symfony, Cake PHP, and Codeigniter, and I went with Codeigniter. I like Codeigniter because it provides a structure that's easy to work within.

But Codeigniter or no, no matter how you use PHP, I seriously recommend you get some way of using XDebug to debug your code. XDebug is (as far as I know) the only debugger for PHP. Some code editors include it or include plugins that support it -- Codelobster and NetBeans include it, and Notepad++ has a plugin for it. No amount of var_dumps can replace the convenience of stepping through your code step by step, watching variables change as you go along.

I totally agree about the debugging.

I use Visual Studio with a PHP plugin, so I get the full benefit of Visual Studio 2013 update 4 (current latest version) with all the benefits of the scripted PHP.

Most of my deployments are onto Linux boxes, typically CentOS or Ubuntu, so it just show you can use a mixed development environment and get all the benefits of each. I also leverage the Ruby and Node.js tools too!

I steped in CI since the beginnig .. but i use many different frameworks and custom classes for differnt projects. For me CI is my first choosen Framework for rapid development. so in all the years of CI development i never run in trouble with any project. so for me its very stable not over powered and easy to use.

@RobertSF:
There are many debugging tools for php arround. Look at this article
http://www.smashingmagazine.com/2009/01/...php-tools/

Xdebug is popular but in php 5.6.0 there is a verry cool build in debugger included calles phpdbg : http://phpdbg.com/

Hi Everyone,

Decided to put my first post here Smile as an introduction of sorts.

I started seriously learning about programming after high school (end of 2000) & got my MCSD + MCDBA certification, so thats VB 6.0 + MSSQL 2000. Eventually moved away from MS & embraced Open Source in 2006. Not sure way but I enjoyed coding everything (i.e. html, js, php) from scratch using 'plain jane' notepad Smile so I never came across using any 'framework' for any of my projects up until now.

2013, bootstrap was my first framework for html development. Early 2014, CI was highly recommended for php development.

CI being my first MVC framework -- took the time to go through CI's user guide word by word. Once I grasp the MVC concept & completed the user guides tutorial (i.e. "Basic News Application") I really appreciated CI as a php framework & understood the importance of rapid development in real world implementation -- I used to enjoy coding on notepad remember Smile

At the moment my project with CI is a B2B2C eCommerce platform.

With CI now being a project of the BCIT, I have plans to spread & teach CI independently in Malaysia (any Malaysians here? lets connect)

Feeling ecstatic about CI right about now Big Grin

-- Khalil

(This post was last modified: 11-15-2014, 08:01 PM by RobertSF.)

(11-13-2014, 08:50 PM)yhoiseth Wrote: I started learning CodeIgniter about a week ago. I'm trying to build an online marketplace where users can sell products as easily as possible. . . . I find it difficult enough, but I'm optimistic.

If you also started learning programming in general, you have assigned yourself a very challenging task, so I wish you all the luck and determination in the world.

As for difficulty, here's an article about a different framework, Fuel-PHP, and if you see how it logs users in, it's not that different from Codeigniter. However, the setup seems more complicated.

(11-14-2014, 10:53 AM)Rufnex Wrote: @RobertSF:
Xdebug is popular but in php 5.6.0 there is a verry cool build in debugger included calles phpdbg : http://phpdbg.com/

Thanks! I didn't know that, and it sure gives me a reason to upgrade my box here!

(11-15-2014, 08:00 PM)RobertSF Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 08:50 PM)yhoiseth Wrote: I started learning CodeIgniter about a week ago. I'm trying to build an online marketplace where users can sell products as easily as possible. . . . I find it difficult enough, but I'm optimistic.

If you also started learning programming in general, you have assigned yourself a very challenging task, so I wish you all the luck and determination in the world.

As for difficulty, here's an article about a different framework, Fuel-PHP, and if you see how it logs users in, it's not that different from Codeigniter. However, the setup seems more complicated.

Thanks. Yeah, I just started learning programming in general. It's very challenging, but I'm learning a lot every day. If it wasn't for the helpful community, I don't think I'd manage. So a big thanks to all the helpful community members out there. You're really making a difference.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB