Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
My understanding. Is it correct?

[eluser]sirfak[/eluser]
Hello all,
What I hve understood from the tutorials is that we need to paste the folder into to public_html folder of my web space.and route my domain to CI folder.
So folder structure looks like /public_html/CodeIgniter_1.7.1/CodeIgniter_1.7.1/system
and I have routed my domain as follows www.XYZ.com/CodeIgniter_1.7.1

So could you guys explain me is it correct or I need to change something?

Also I want to know that from the tutorial it seems that "development process is done throug web-browser (by going to www.XYZ.com/CodeIgniter Folder)" is it correct or you guys are using any other tool for that.

Kindly help me in getting my project started.
Thanks in advance

Ajay Singh
[email protected]

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Hi sirfak,

Quote:What I hve understood from the tutorials is that we need to paste the folder into to public_html folder of my web space.and route my domain to CI folder.

Well, public_html is an Apache-ism I think. And it's used where you want users to be able to have their own web-visible components, kept in their home directories - hence they have ~/public_html/...

You don't have to have this, of course. Normally with web hosting you get a virtual lump of file system somewhere, and it presents as your domain's primary web page. You'll need to check with your hoster, of course. Route is a magic word with the CI crowd, as it means something quite particular. I think you just mean redirecting users to a particular sub-directory that matches the last bit of the URL, right?

Quote:So folder structure looks like /public_html/CodeIgniter_1.7.1/CodeIgniter_1.7.1/system
and I have routed my domain as follows www.XYZ.com/CodeIgniter_1.7.1

You don't need to call it CodeIgniter_1.7.1 - and in fact this will break if you ever do an upgrade to 1.7.2, right?

When you unpack the CI archive, just rename that directory to your product / suite / application name. Eg. public_html/gallery/system/... (where gallery is the original 'top level' of the CI archive).

You can even shuffle the system/application around, if you want to keep CI core code physically separated from your own product code - but this gets a bit more complex (there are threads on this if you want to search the forums).

Quote:Also I want to know that from the tutorial it seems that "development process is done throug web-browser (by going to www.XYZ.com/CodeIgniter Folder)" is it correct or you guys are using any other tool for that.

Well, you go to that URL, yes, of course, to see the output of your site.

But you'd use an editor (or an integrated development environment - IDE) to do the actual coding. Eclipse, NetBeans, vim and quanta are four that spring to mind.

[eluser]sirfak[/eluser]
Thanks jedd. for your clear explanation of the problem.I have set up the directory as such. and I am getting welcome page saying
<===================================================
"Welcome to CodeIgniter!
The page you are looking at is being generated dynamically by CodeIgniter.
If you would like to edit this page you'll find it located at:
system/application/views/welcome_message.php
The corresponding controller for this page is found at:
system/application/controllers/welcome.php
If you are exploring CodeIgniter for the very first time, you should start by reading the User Guide.
=======================================================>

Now I want to know where should I go from here.How do I start the development from here.
Also If I do go to other folder I am getting "Directory access forbidden message"

Please help

Thanks in advance

Regards
Ajay

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I think the clue is in the message you got there:

You should [url="http://ellislab.com/codeigniter/user-guide/toc.html"]start reading the CI User Guide[/url]

You might want to install NetBeans - that's a pretty friendly, runs-almost-anywhere, PHP-friendly editor.

For database maintenance, PHPMyAdmin is pretty popular.

[eluser]Jondolar[/eluser]
Here is a quick tip.

Don't plan on adding any files or making any changes to any file outside the application directory Smile All of our code/configuration should go in that directory structure.

[eluser]Natebot[/eluser]
Access to your hostings file system differs from host to host, but I favor placing both the application and system folders outside of the Web root when I can. Some developers don't get that choice as the hosting company only lets them add files to their Web root and not outside it.

In your case it would be a structure like:
./application
./system
./public_html

./public_html is still the web root, and you'd place the index.php file somewhere inside public_html, either at the web root level (if www.yourdomain.com is your app) or deeper (if www.yourdomain.com/something/ is your app). In either case you just adjust the paths in the index.php file to point to the location of the application and system directories.

I also create an extra directory ./data
which is where I store my system logs ./data/logs/sys_logs/
and my CI caches ./data/cache/DBcache/ ./data/cache/PageCache/
(update ./application/config/config.php and database.php to point to those directories)
This means the /system directory has no generated cache and log content and I can replace it at will with new versions. In fact I can have multiple (system164 & system171) and use a symbolic link to toggle between them.

Nothing wrong with what you are doing, I just wanted to mention how flexible the install can be. Once you get some experience you're bound to find an install pattern that suites your needs.

[eluser]sirfak[/eluser]
Thanks everyone for you help.I have now quite a good understanding of CodeIgniter now.
Could you be able to discuss what tools you are using for webpage creation using PHP any other tool that can ease my work

Thanks
Ajay(SirfAK)

[eluser]Natebot[/eluser]
Netbeans has a relatively new PHP build that I am enjoying using, and the first release candidate of 6.7 is now available. Search on these forums for "IDE" or "editor" will give you a taste of what tools people are using. TextMate is a perennial favorite.

Beyond the editor you'll want to consider source control like SVN, CSV, Git, etc. and possibly unit testing and debugging tools like SimpleTest and Xdebug. Search these forums and wiki for those tools and you'll pick up some great tips.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB