Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Usability Testing

[eluser]slowgary[/eluser]
I'm curious - do any of you test your sites/apps for usability?

I have an ecommerce site I'm working on now that I'd like to do some testing on (when it's finished). If you follow the rants of Jakob Nielson, all sites should be tested. I like the idea, but the budget for a lot of sites makes this impossible. I'll probably just have some friends and family complete a few purchases once I'm done. I just wondered, what do you do?

I've also been thinking that maybe a site that allows people to test other sites would be a good idea. For instance, you could input your domain name and a set of tasks that users should complete, and the site would allow users to visit your site through an iframe. The iframe would be full page width and height, with the exception of a single line of text above the site that would present the user with the task to complete. Once completed, the user would check the task off and the next task would appear. Each task could be followed by a quick difficulty rating survey, something like "How difficult was this task to complete?", followed by some radio buttons. There could also be a more general survey after the tasks for questions about the design or other things, as well as user feedback.

Whaddya think?

[eluser]tomcode[/eluser]
Would be great to have. I spent a lot of time testing.

It should be kept very simple and fast though, (i.e. have just a rating), I'd want it to be straight forward and rather have an optional free comment box, I do not believe in surveys, I do not get NEW ideas.

I'd present a list of tests : what, how long, priority.

I can pick one, do it and if I want, I can can pick another one ... or severals.

Results are public.

I can host it, work on it.

I put together a quick basic demo of how it might function. Upon rating a task, you're advanced to the next task. It would track the user's time between tasks. After completing the tasks, it would provide a basic form with a place for feedback plus a listing of each task allowing comments per task.

There's nothing that tracks whether the user actually completed the task or not, but I could probably provide a function that the site could bind to certain element's events. They could just pass in the task's select name as a reference. The task could show a big green checkmark when it's completed.

EDIT: Whoops, I forgot the URL Smile http://www.aaroncicali.com/usetest/

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
Looking good (I'm doing the post a reply task now Smile)

Edit: Upon completing it, it would be nice if you had a button to close the toolbar thing, and go to the page they're on, instaed of staying in the frame

[eluser]tomcode[/eluser]
Hmm, I've added a bug report button and a 'back to tests' button, but I am not really happy with, I'd like to have though.

w buttons

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
For user testing to be effective, you kinda have to be looking over their shoulders. Users often don't accurately report the problems they have.

I usually just get a few non-tech-savvy friends and family to complete a few tasks for me while I watch.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
But users are also a lot more careful not to screw up with someone watching over their shoulder
You could always spy on them by either recording their desktop session, or viewing what they do using VNC or something similar (not that I approve spying on people)

But I agree, getting non tech savvy people is the way to go Smile

[eluser]Colin Williams[/eluser]
Quote:But users are also a lot more careful not to screw up with someone watching over their shoulder

I think you get that result when you survey a large sample of subjects, but my friends and family are always comfortable with it.

Quote:Hmm, I’ve added a bug report button and a ‘back to tests’ button, but I am not really happy with, I’d like to have though.
nice, I hadn't really thought of bug reporting but that makes sense. I might play around and put it into a tooltip style element that points at the button.

Quote:non tech savvy people is the way to go
I agree. The business model still needs work, but there may be a way to provide incentives for the average user to complete tests as well. Also, it could profile test takers and give weighted scores from users with less experience.

I like this idea but I don't really have time to develop it right now. I wouldn't be opposed to making this a team project, but I don't want to run into any issues if the site has the potential to be monetized.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB