Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Why CI?

[eluser]jayrulez[/eluser]
I'm interested in developing web applications using php. In preparation i've come across php frameworks. I've have checked out quite a few php frameworks over the past weeks, however i'm undecided on which framework to use. I'm looking to develop a wide range of applications from social networks to cms' to blogs. I've managed to norrow down my choice to just a few frameworks including CI of course. I would appreciate the opinions and advice of developers using CI. The frameworks i want to choose from include Zend framework (http://framework.zend.com), ThinkPHP (http://thinkphp.googlecode.com), I-Framework (http://code.google.com/p/i-framework/) and last but not least CodeIgnitor. Question to developers using CI, what gives CI the edge over these other frameworks? Some might say all these frameworks have their advantages and disadvantages but i also want to know what the advantages and disadvantages are. Thank you Smile

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
a framework -- regardless of fancy features

is simply as good as

its documentation
and forum support

cause if you can't learn it fully

it is useless to you

and you can only learn it with

its documentation
and forum support

and in these things ... CI wins

so ...

go with CI

and see the light

[eluser]depthcharge[/eluser]
Being a codeigniter forum, i think i predict the results. :-)

But yes, documentation is always a good thing. But it all boils down to the functionality you require.

For me codeigniter is spot on for most of my work.

Thank you, but i also want to hear what CI offers that the others do not. I find the documentation and forum support pretty good for all 4 except for zend framework.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
just googling

i read that all php framework can pretty much do whatever you want it to

that being the case, assuming it is true, then

ease of use
and
learning curve

should be the next considerations

what say you?

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
the link to thinkphp

leads to a chinese language site

is that the official site for it?

googling it did not display its official site in English

does it has one?

[quote author="JPrieto" date="1243846316"]the link to thinkphp

leads to a chinese language site

is that the official site for it?

googling it did not display its official site in English

does it has one?[/quote]

No it's only in Chinese so far. I tried the thinkPHP framework, i pretty much grasped it in about 2 days. i haven't had the chance to go in the core of codeignitor yet so i wanted to hear the opinion of developers experienced with it

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
just curious

how you learned it if it is in chinese only

you know chinese?

[quote author="JPrieto" date="1243848151"]just curious

how you learned it if it is in chinese only

you know chinese?[/quote]

nope. I checked out the examples and i went through all files in the package to see what they do. its pretty simple. what i read is PHP and not the chinese, so the language of the framework doesn't really matter as long as its in php.

[eluser]SpooF[/eluser]
One thing that CodeIgniter has above all other frameworks is speed. Its one of the fastest out of the box in terms of benchmarks for all the features it has. All the examples of work that you want to do I've seen a website built from CI doing just that.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB