Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
[HELP] Cache system frustrating me?

[eluser]howler[/eluser]
I am completely new to CI. I installed it with the Yet Another Smarty Thread patch via http://ellislab.com/forums/viewthread/60050/

I simply edited the default Welcome controller class to load the smarty template.

What's really annoying me is what I assume is the caching. I'll change the welcome.php or a template file and it *might* update the page on a refresh. Deleting the files in the cache folder does not seem to guarantee a fresh reload of the page. I'm also holding down SHIFT in firefox; still doesn't work. If I refresh the page, sometimes it's up to date. Other times I have to keep reloading and touching random files until it magically renders the latest version of the code. What's up with this? I'm making micro changes to welcome.php to see how the system works. Often I'll get a CI "error" message relating to a missing file; I'll fix the missing file but have to wait for a while to see that I've fixed it by refreshing numerous times.

I also get the same results without using smarty.

I've also set:
$this->output->cache(0); in the index() function.

The relative pathing is a bit frustrating for the tpl files, but that's another issue.

[eluser]howler[/eluser]
I change this:
Code:
function index()
    {
        $this->output->cache(0);
        print "ge2";
        $this->load->view('welcome_message');
        }

to:
Code:
function index()
    {
        $this->output->cache(0);
        print "ge5";
        $this->load->view('welcome_message');
        }

Yet, the welcome page still shows the "ge2" print. The "Page rendered in 0.0147 seconds" updates with a different time each time I refresh the page.

Deleting the cache doesn't effect it. If I spam 'reload', after a while, it will update the page.
What's going on? Sad

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Sounds like your issue is with your browser cache. I'd highly recommend you install the [url="https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60"]Web Developer Extension[/url] for Firefox, as it allows you to totally disable browser caching.

[eluser]howler[/eluser]
Well, the problem seems to be an attempt to be too cool. The web server was using its file server document root off of a networked qnap drive. Oops.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
That sounds a bit daft. So can you get around this?

[eluser]howler[/eluser]
Yes, I just hosted the files on the web server's drive.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB