Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
sapphire vs codeigniter

[eluser]searain[/eluser]
Unlike MS windows guys, the .net rules all.

We have 10-25 top php frameworks to chose from. I pick up the CI because it is clean and lean, and well documented.

Does any one here knows about sapphire? I am going to interview for a project that they prefer sapphire instead of CI. Could you share your points about sapphire vs codeIgniter? Views from both sides.

I will quickly check out the sapphire this weekend too.

Any advices will be very helpful.

Thanks!

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Sapphire is one page on the silverstripe site. If you go to the download page there is no option to download sapphire individually. If you go to the forum there is no subforum for sapphire. This gives me the impression it's a marketing trick for developers to use the cms.

It's php5 only which means it has a lot of other frameworks to compete with. The code example on the sapphire page shows shows the use of a method with CMS in it. Does this prove my impression is right?

Most site backends are CMS-s so it will save development time if you have all basic components already in place instead of having to find the right ones.

I hope Ellislab doesn't go that way where CI is more a scheme to get you using EE than a framework you can build almost anything on.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
[quote author="xwero" date="1244284889"]Sapphire This gives me the impression this is a marketing trick [/quote]

i think it is a trick too

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
Sapphire is the MVC framework which supports the SilverStripe CMS and is part of the main download.

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
wiredesignz that is obvious but i wonder how tight the coupling is between the framework and the CMS. In the code example on the sapphire page is getCMSfields build in the controller or is it from a class you can add. Another thing that bothers me is why do they show an editor field. Editors are for large pieces of text, even partials.

Now i just base my opinion on the way it seems after seeing the information on their website. It's not a technical evaluation of the framework.

[eluser]wiredesignz[/eluser]
I have played with the SilverStripe CMS briefly but not investigated using Sapphire separately so I can't comment on that.

Maybe the OP's customers confuse CI with EE or as a CMS itself. In anycase there is probably nothing to stop a developer using Sapphire framework alone but I don't believe it would be suitable as an entry level product like CodeIgniter.

[eluser]ray73864[/eluser]
I downloaded it and tried to install it (using WAMPServer), but it came up with an error in one of their html files.

I personally think it is a trick

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB