Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Detect Flash and Redirect

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Hey, I'm not sure if I'm just missing something completely obvious here, but I'm not sure how to detect whether a user has flash installed or not. I've done some quick searches with Google, in the forums, and the wiki, but I've found nothing. What I'm looking to do is to detect whether flash is installed and if it's not, then redirect the user to another webpage. Any ideas on how to do this would be awesome.

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
What about http://www.phpjavascript.com/forum.php?forumid=45 (it was the second link on Google Wink)

[eluser]depthcharge[/eluser]
If you don't want to use javascript, you could do it the reverse way:

Tiny invisible flash movie, it's only purpose to re-direct to the flash version of the page/site.

[eluser]Evil Wizard[/eluser]
If your generating the flash as an object tag with param children then any tags placed inside the opening and closing "object" tag is displayed to the user if the object cannot be loaded.
Code:
<object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="/path/to/flash/file.swf" width="100" height="200" id="my_flash_id">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="/path/to/flash/file.swf" />
    <param name="loop" value="0" />
    <param name="menu" value="FALSE" />
    <param name="quality" value="HIGH" />
    <a href="#" title="download flash">Download flash</a>
&lt;/object&gt;

[eluser]Unknown[/eluser]
Thanks for your help guys. I think I'm going to try to write something for the SWFOBject API.

@Dam1an I'm wondering what search terms you used since I never got that link as a result.
@depthcharge I'm not sure how efficient that solution since I'm assuming you have the object embedded on the first page and redirect from there, right?

[eluser]Dam1an[/eluser]
I can't remember what the exact query string was, but 'detect if flash is installed with javascript' (without the quotes) makes that result come up first

[eluser]depthcharge[/eluser]
Quote:@depthcharge I’m not sure how efficient that solution since I’m assuming you have the object embedded on the first page and redirect from there, right?

Javascript will be more efficient.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB