Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Code Ignitor vs Ruby

[eluser]d3xt3r[/eluser]
I know I am kind of comparing Apples and Pears but if you were looking at the 2 frameworks what are the key differences between the 2 and why would you chose CI over Rails?

Cheers

[eluser]xwero[/eluser]
Why choose CI over rails; if you know php should you take the time to learn another language just to use the framework.

I guess the comparison between the two will be that rails is a full stack framework, ORM and other developer friendly classes, where CI is a bit of a barebones framework.

[eluser]Yorick Peterse[/eluser]
Ruby (on rails) and CodeIgniter are two completely different languages. If you already know PHP I'd stick with it.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[url="http://betterexplained.com/articles/starting-ruby-on-rails-what-i-wish-i-knew/"]This is an excellent article[/url] on the subject of RoR - going over much of the basics that it took me a while to glean from various sources.

I read a great article ages back, about a guy who ran quite a large site and was porting from PHP (but not CI from memory) to RoR - after a year he gave up and re-reverted back to PHP. His story was coherent, cogent, reasonable and considered - ie. it wasn't a rant - and he identified a bunch of problems that let him to that ultimate decision. I can't find the link now, and it's doubtless lost in the cruft of google-space. Point being, that's what finally turned me off the idea - apart from the cost of learning yet another language (I still have perl at the top of my ever-aging list).

OTOH I know at least two RoR evangelists, and if you gave them an hour they'd talk you into writing the next O'Reilly title on Ruby ...

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB