Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Has anyone had experience with integrating file manager into CodeIgniter app and can recommend some?

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
Hi,

I'm developing my first system with CodeIgniter and I need to have a file manager in it - where users to create folders, upload, rename, delete files, etc. and the common basic file manager functionalities.

Does anyone has some experience with such a thing a can recommend an easy to integrate but also to modify php file manager?

I need to have some more specific functionality as each user to see his own directories, i.e. personal file space, also shared directories by projects (it's a kind of project management system), file version, sharing read access to a personal directory. So I'm a bit afraid that I may loose much more time in modifying an existing file manager to integrate than to create those features by my own - so need a file manager that is well written as code also. And I also need to have some of the files info in a DB, so that's one other thing that makes modification necessary.

But my first step is having a php file manager integrated into my CI system so that's what I'm pointing my questions now.
Maybe AJAX based file manager is a possibility - at least for easier integration. But then comes the easy to modify PHP backend.
And I'm using jQuery as a JavaScipt library in the site, so maybe that could be a direction too.

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
It's been a week since my inquiry but not many people have seen it. May anyone share his thoughts on a personal experience with integrating a customisable file manager into a CI system?

A week later my thouths are on starting it from scratch.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Have you tried looking for similar sites to see how they do it? I don't think the solution has anything to do with CodeIgniter specifically. What works on one site should be fairly easy to integrate into CodeIgniter's idiom.

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
What's specific with CodeIgniter is that it disables the GET queries and the not-AJAX-based file managers rely on them - at least from what I've seen. There come the AJAX-based file managers but I still miss the orientation in how to both integrate and modify them for my needs.
The more web based project management system have very limited file browser functionality or it comes into their paid plans - so it's difficult to look into such systems. At least I haven't got into an open source PHP-based PM systems with advanced file manager into them - and haven't got into any PM system with a seem-to-be integrated outsourced (maybe the word "outsourced" is not right here, not sure) file manager.

So it comes my search into people's experience with just integrating such a file manager and modificating it. As there are so much really bad written file managers that are hard to modify or very specific to integrate. And at the same time there seems to be a big diversity of file managers projects that you may find today.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Surely you can have a file manager that uses post instead of get? Here's one - http://ecosmear.com/relay/. It's still in beta, but I'm quite sure it can be moulded to your needs. Likewise, I'm sure there are at least several hundred equally good, (or better) libraries. I'm quite sure that if you look a bit harder, you'll find something you can use. I'd also suggest you out http://sourceforge.net/.

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
I've checked Relay, but still haven't digged into how it's organized as a source. But my first impression was it's aside from what I need as it uses it's own mysql database, user profiles, and other specific functions that would make much complicated integrating it into my needs.
And yes - there are really much such projects and that's why I wanted people's recommendations.

Thanks anyway.

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
I've never looked into these kinds of things .. I've probably used them only a few times, and always come away being reminded how crap web applications are when they try to do conventional-app stuff. There are much better ways of doing this, to be sure.

But I do expect you're going to hit the problem of authentication system tie-in, either because your candidate suite doesn't handle auth at all (so you have to retro-fit your library of choice into same) or because it does (so you have to extract it or interface with it somehow).

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
@jedd, sorry but I didn't get what you meant. It was about the custom apps to integrate like Relay file manager and it's own authentication system?

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
Let me rephrase.

It appears that you want a fairly strict set of criteria to be met - it has to be free, ideally use POST rather than GET, be competent enough to provide something secure and yet not have any security (authentication) system built into it, and not use any database backend to track users or the pseudo-filesystem hierarchy.

I think you'll probably end up having to write your own.

[eluser]TottoBG[/eluser]
That's what it seems I'm going to do. Will miss the nice and usable interfaces that many standalone file managers have, so mine will get much more simpler, but it will come as hard-integrated part of the system.
There seem to be many good one file managers, but each one has it specifics.

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB