Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Sending/receiving files over port 80

[eluser]comex[/eluser]
Hello (please excuse the confusing title),

Background
I have a web server hosting a webpage (powered by CodeIgniter) where users input information that is to be mirrored to a database on a different computer. The other computer hosts an application where users locally submit the same type of information as they are able to submit through the web page. Only difference is that information submitted through the web page has to be approved by someone on the "local side."

Problem
I want to let the other computer to request the changes that have happened in the web servers database and then to have the web server respond with an XML-file containing the changes. And then for the other computer to send an XML-file with whatever changes has happened on that side( for example the approved entries on the web page.)
I'd prefer to keep this on port 80 in order to limit the amount of open ports on the web server(which is the only computer connected to the internet.) Also, this process has to be able to be scripted somehow so that it can be done automatically.

I haven't been able to find any pre-made solution, but I'm also quite inexperienced with web-programming so I don't really know what to look for. Also excuse me if the question is a bit hard to understand I'm not able to quite wrap my head around the problem.

Thank you

Edit
I should note that the amount of users on the web site will be quite low, an estimate is at max 20 users per day.

[eluser]TheFuzzy0ne[/eluser]
Have you had a look at the XML-RPC library? It's not a complete solution, but it's a big part of it.

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
You are talking about exposing part of your database via a webservice. There are a lot of solutions which you can use, all with different pros and cons. Try googling around for: SOAP, REST and XML-RPC. And obviously PHP+Webservices. CI supports XML-RPC via libraries which you can read about here, but there is nothing stopping you from using any of the other techniques.

[eluser]comex[/eluser]
Thank you the responses.

I actually looked at XML-RPC before posting the question here. The only problem I have is implementing the client side on the other computer. Does anyone have any recommendations for a pre-made client solution?

Again, thank you for responding so quickly and for understanding my obscure question Smile

[eluser]n0xie[/eluser]
Can't both websites use the same database? Then all your problems would magically go away...

[eluser]comex[/eluser]
I might have been a bit unclear about that.
The "other computer" isn't a website, its running a program that computers throughout the same building connect to through software clients. Security is quite a big issue since the databases contain sensitive information and its not an option to have the "proper" database to be connected to the internet. Therefore they can not use the same database, although the idea is tempting and would probably save me a couple of hours Smile

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB