Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
i have no idea how to label this heading

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Thanks Jedd

yes it is similar to what i want to do (they are, however, connected to yahoo groups).

but mine idea limits group monitoring to local area church leaders who will personally screen the "takers" and assure that truly needy people get the stuff donated.

It will be a huge database with category searches -- items descriptions with photo uploads, etc.

Truly grateful for the lead -- first time I heard of it. It is something I will look into further.

Thanks

[eluser]jedd[/eluser]
[quote author="JPrieto" date="1245802018"]Thanks Jedd

yes it is similar to what i want to do (they are, however, connected to yahoo groups).[/quote]

Freecycle? That's news to me. Never looked into them, but they are huge in AU, and I've always assumed that they originated elsewhere - either US or UK. Any affiliations they (may) have has never been an issue to anyone I've known.

Is a yahoo connection bad, in the context of what they provide here?

Do Christians have something against Yahoo!?

I have something against the usage of punctuation in trademarks, but that's just a language / IT thing.

Quote:but mine idea limits group monitoring to local area church leaders who will personally screen the "takers" and assure that truly needy people get the stuff donated.

Isn't this contra to the teachings of the bible?

At the very least it seems like a horrendous amount of near-pointless, and certainly quite gratuitous effort.

Quote:It will be a huge database with category searches -- items descriptions with photo uploads, etc.

My friends' experiences back in AU suggest that fast and lightweight make the service work really well - people don't have to faff around with expensive registration and description processes, and the geographical proximity combined with first-in-best-dressed usually works well. This 'works well' assessment includes and extends to making sure the people getting rid of stuff aren't left hanging around waiting for people to veto who can and can not get what they're trying to get rid of, or having to post photos, or categorise their items under umpteen headings - they just post it in the morning, and have then generally divested themselves of it by that afternoon. This means they are way more likely to utilise the service again in the future.

[eluser]JPrieto[/eluser]
Hi Jedd,

perhaps since i did not go into more details it sounds like i am going it about it all wrong

I applaud FreeCycle -- they are filling a worthy need and anything I can do for them, just count me in. And I thank you for pointing them out to me.

#1- i did say that i will look into it further, and while doing so if it looks like the site can fill the need identified then that is what will be used; if not, then maybe i can learn from it and use what i learned to benefit the site i want to do. But since it is a personal project i want to do out of charity, and not for personal gain, more power if i do not have to invest time and money to get something done since it alreally exists.

The site is "group" based (nothing wrong with that). so I searched for group in Miami, Florida, USA and none existed, when i clicked on create a group it lead me to yahoo. Then i searched at random for other groups, and each lead me to yahoo groups.

No, nothing wrong with Yahoo. I reread my post several times and did not see what i said that made you think that. On the contrary, it is a very useful service that I have benefited from.

They basically use postings similar to classified ads, and I wanted something more like a database based site. Not group based, but perhaps country based.

Besides, the evangelical audience, and followers of other religions, that my project targets may not feel comfortable with the nature of some ads that yahoo display all over their site. It is just a personal belief and one that is deserving of respect. It is a view that is not forced upon, but is about self choice.

#2 - Local church leaders -- of different religions -- are regularly in contact with followers who have basic need of food, clothing, furniture, medical equipments, etc. They already know, on a personal basis, who really needs what.

So I thought they would make ideal candidate to monitor distribution. They just pass out according to either severity of need or first-come-first-served basis .... that discretion is left to the leaders.

And for the "givers" -- those special and blessed people who address the needs of others, since they ae there to give, not receive, posting of items will be easy without any screening or registering, something like backpage.com

#3 - what matter here is that you know that i am not -- in this case -- not promoting a particular religion, instead I just want people in severe need to be helped by those with items to spare.

These are "cashless" transactions to prevent corruption among the distributors and to encourage more donations.

Again, I appreciate your feedback -- and Im sure I am on the same page as you: I just want whichever way serves society better. Be it with a site made by me or someone else. I'm not going to profit from it, so no reason for me to insist my way is better, best to backup whichever way is truly better.

Thanks

please do not take this as a debate -- i replied to better explain my position in case it was misunderstood (which i think it was).

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB