Welcome Guest, Not a member yet? Register   Sign In
Internet explorer 8 forgets my session

[eluser]Maglok[/eluser]
Hello CI forums,

I have been trying to track down a bug in a application I support. It utilizes CI sessions (which are glorified cookies).

Now this gets a little complicated. The application is called from a frameset from within blackboard. You could also get to it without Blackboard though.

If you go to the application from outside blackboard it has no problem logging anyone in.

If you go to the application from inside blackboard (thus utilizing frames) it will log anyone but Internet Explorer 8 users in. I have checked the session info and it seems to have 'forgotten' any data that is set, also that it logged in. Hence it will never be logged in if it is IE8 + Blackboard.

I have found some hints when googling and tried to use the forum search, but nothing specific enough. Are there known issues with IE8 forgetting CI sessions somehow?

This has our department stumped really.

[eluser]Maglok[/eluser]
I am contemplating replacing the entire CI session mechanic with real cookies, but that would require bit a bit of code to change, something I'd rather not do. More extensive googling has shown me this seems to happen more, but no one actually has a explanation or reason it is happening.

[eluser]Maglok[/eluser]
UPDATE
'Fixed' it. This is for those running into similar problems.

Internet Explorer will not accept cookies from cross-server applications that are run in a frame by default. Since CI uses cookies for the session info, this is the problem. You can allow it for one site, lower your security settings or (try) to implement a P3P policy. I am working on that last one now.

Anyhow this took me quite a while, so for anyone having the problem in the future, there it is.

[eluser]egoslip[/eluser]
any updates on this it seems that im running into this same issue

[eluser]GSV Sleeper Service[/eluser]
Quote:Since CI uses cookies for the session info...
this causes so many problems, it really is a daft idea. use native sessions instead

Theme © iAndrew 2016 - Forum software by © MyBB